Work experience gives catering students a taste for success
Two of Petroc Tiverton’s catering students are making leaps and bounds towards a successful career in the highly competitive food industry.
Joanne Goodman and Jodie Pratt are both in the second year of a Level 2 Catering and Hospitality VRQ Diploma and have secured work experience in some of the world’s best restaurants.
Joanne has recently clinched a three week work experience placement at Gidleigh Park, the double Michelin-starred restaurant, which regularly tops polls as Britain’s best.
She is also currently working at the award-winning Fox and Hounds Hotel in Eggesford – recently voted Devon’s best wedding venue for the third year running.
A catering lecturer from Petroc’s Barnstaple Campus put Joanne is touch with two former students who work at Gidleigh. She contacted them via Facebook and they advised her on her letter of application.
“It’s great because I want to be a chef and Michael Caines [Gidleigh’s executive head chef] is one of my heroes,” said Joanne.
Last year Jodie’s work experience placement was at Rick Stein’s patisserie in Padstow, Cornwall.
Although she didn’t meet the man himself she worked closely with his right hand man and made some great contacts for the future.
In June, Jodie’s off to Sweden for her summer work experience placement and could find herself working in one of Gothenburg’s eight Michelin-starred restaurants.
Both Joanne and Jodie speak very highly of their time at Petroc.
“The standards of the kitchen facilities and equipment are really high and we get to cook some amazing food,” enthused Jodie.
“It’s great to be working and learning in a real restaurant. I particularly enjoy the evenings that we run at The Exe – it’s a great atmosphere and everyone’s more relaxed,” added Joanne.
Have you seen?
- Petroc students’ work goes on display at the Goodwin Gallery
- PHOTOS: Barnstaple Grand Prix
- Petroc students love vintage!
- NCS helps teenagers gain confidence and independence
- ConfusionsMain Site, Barnstaple19:00 - 22:00
- Discovering Degrees ExpoWe help hundreds of local people access affordable, quality degrees. Come along to find out what we can help you achiev.
- Lifestyle LearningPetroc now offers distance learning for beauty and holistic therapies.
- Part time coursesThe new summer courses are now available to enrol online. Summer guides also available to download: www.petroc.ac.uk/publications.
- The Job ShopA FREE service at Petroc, Barnstaple and Tiverton Campuses to assist our students into employment.