Petroc recognises the risk posed by COVID to students and staff and has measures in place to minimise the risk of infection and the transmission of the virus. Should any Government guidance change with regards to life at college, we will notify parents and students accordingly.
LIFE ON CAMPUS - UPDATE AS AT 17 MAY 2021
We are wholly focused on ensuring the safety of our students and staff and creating the most COVID secure environment we possibly can, to allow the best possible learning outcomes for our students. Here are some things you should know:
We continue to expect all our students to adhere to social distancing rules. Classrooms will maintain social distancing as before, with seating plans in place. When walking down corridors or using the stairs, please walk in single file on the left-hand side, and avoid gathering in corridors or in large groups anywhere on the campus. We ask that you only attend campus for your scheduled ‘in person’ lessons.
New face mask guidance from Monday 17 May inside college buildings:
If you are standing and moving around - FACE MASK ON (unless exempt)
If you are sitting and not moving around - FACE MASK OFF (you may still choose to wear a face mask)
Please note there are limited catering facilities on campus and therefore we would encourage you to bring in your own packed lunch wherever possible.
Help and support
We know that this lockdown has been tough, and you may be concerned about that you haven't kept up with your studies as well as you might have and worry about how you might catch up. You may have concerns about what Teacher Assessment Grades are going to mean for you. Please be reassured that we are here to help you. We have put together a short video with some more information; please just speak to your tutor or any member of staff about any concerns you may have.
We are very grateful for all students who have consented to having, and have had, their COVID tests on campus.
Testing is one of the ways in which we can do our bit to keep community infection rates down, but it is not the only answer and does not mean that you should change the way in which you behave in relation to other COVID measures. If you have any concerns or question about testing please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a 16-18 year old student you need to have had three COVID tests on campus before you can be allocated home test kits. Please note that the Petroc testing centre has now closed, therefore if you have not had three tests in person, you will need to attend your local community testing centre. Please note there is a local community testing centre in Barnstaple, and one in Tiverton.
You can pick up home test kits from the North Devon or Mid Devon campus.
What to do if you have a positive test
All positive results from lateral flow tests (known as LFT or home test kit), whether conducted at home or at a school or college need to be confirmed with a PCR test within two days of the positive lateral flow test.
Following a positive lateral flow test, a confirmatory PCR test should be booked immediately either online or by calling 119 or going to www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test.
Whilst awaiting the PCR result, students and close contacts should continue to self-isolate. If the PCR test is negative, provided it was taken within two days of the positive LFT, it overrides the lateral flow test and you can return to school or college, and close contacts and other household members can stop self-isolating.
DIGITAL/REMOTE LEARNING FOR STUDENTS
Find out what to expect if you need to self-isolate or if a national lockdown requires you to remain at home.
ADVICE FOR PARENTS
The Government has provided a document providing guidance for parents of children at college with regards to Coronavirus.
This includes information about curriculum, online safety, holidays, exams, food, trips and more. You can view this information on the gov.uk website.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU BECOME UNWELL WITH COVID-19
Please read the information below and contact the college should you feel unwell.
- The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are recent onset of a new continuous cough or a high temperature or a loss of, or change in, normal sense of taste or smell (anosmia).
- If you develop these symptoms, however mild, or you have received a positive coronavirus (COVID-19) test result, then you should immediately self-isolate and stay at home for at least 10 days from when your symptoms started. If you live with others, all other household members who remain well must stay at home and not leave the house for 10 days. See the stay at home guidance for further information.
- If you have any symptoms of COVID-19, you should arrange a test by visiting NHS.UK, or by contacting 119 via telephone if you do not have internet access.
- If you are a student and become ill whilst at college, you should advise your tutor straight away.
- In the event of any suspected or confirmed COVID-19 cases at college, our Pandemic Advisory Group will be informed and those immediately affected will be advised of next steps.
- If you feel you cannot cope with your symptoms at home, or your condition gets worse, or your symptoms do not get better after 10 days, then use the NHS 111 online service or call NHS 111.
Petroc is committed to supporting students through these unsettling times.
If you need to speak to someone about how you are feeling, please speak to your tutor, or contact one of the organisations below, who will be able to help:
Ask for Jake
VISITORS TO PETROC
Any visitors coming on-site will need to sign in at Reception, follow the track and trace protocols, and follow the college’s covid-secure protocols.