Bus Information

Planning to study with us? If you’re uncertain about your travel options, costs or how to apply for your bus pass, help is at hand.

Devon County Council Transport Scheme

How it works...

Once you're offered a place at Petroc you will be assessed by Devon County Council to determine whether you are eligible for the subsidised travel scheme. If you are not eligible for the scheme, Devon County Council will notify Petroc directly and you may be eligible for the Petroc travel scheme (see information below). If you are eligible for either scheme you will be sent information in May/June from Petroc or Devon County Council depending on your eligibility.

If learners are in receipt of a qualifying means tested benefit (see below), Devon County Council will issue you a free bus pass.

  • Income Support 
  • Income Based Job Seekers’ Allowance 
  • Maximum level of Working Tax Credit 
  • Guarantee element of Pension Credit 
  • Employment Support Allowance (Income Related) 
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 
  • Child Tax Credit if this is the only benefit received i.e. not Working Tax Credit as well and have an annual income assessed by the Inland Revenue that does not exceed £16,190 (from 1 April 2011 - this figure is reviewed annually).

I don't qualify for the Council Transport Scheme

If you are not in receipt of any of the Council’s qualifying benefits you may still be able to get a free bus pass if your household income is below £30,000 and you meet the criteria below:

  • Live in Devon.
  • Attend a full-time course of education.
  • Be under 19 years of age on 31 August immediately preceding the start of the academic year (although there are exceptions for learners with Special Educational Needs).
  • The journey from home to Petroc must be three miles or more measured by the shortest available pedestrian route.

If this is the case you will need to apply for a payment form from the Council and return it to the Guidance Centre at Barnstaple along with your Tax Credit Award notice showing a household income of less than £30,000. You will also need to supply a passport photo.  We will then attach the payment to your payment form and send it to the Council who will issue your pass.

If you live in Cornwall, Cornwall County Council will arrange travel if you are entitled under their scheme. Learners who are on a household income of under £30,000 will be entitled to a free pass. To access a free pass, learners must complete the transport application form and return to the Guidance Centre at Barnstaple along with your Working Tax Credit Award Notice.  The Bursary fund will then make the payment on your behalf and send it to Cornwall County Council who will issue your pass. 

If you live in Somerset, you will not be entitled to the DCC scheme, however, you can apply directly to Petroc's scheme which follows a similar criteria and eligibility. The cost of the pass will be £500, but similarly if your household income is less that £30,000 then you will be able to get a free bus pass. Please contact the Guidance Centre on 01884 235245 for more information and an application form.

College Transport Scheme

If you are not entitled to a bus pass via Devon or Cornwall County Council, you can apply to the College Transport Scheme, as long as you live over three miles from the college. The cost of this depends on how many days you are timetabled to attend college.

If you qualify for the college Bursary or Learner Support Fund, your pass will be free.

If you don't qualify for financial assistance the pass will cost £500 (pro-rata). You can pay in one payment and receive a £30 discount or monthly by direct debit.

If you are on an Apprenticeship, HE course or the course you are studying is not funded please contact the Guidance Centre who will be happy to discuss the cost of your travel.

If you have any questions about transport to College or whether you may be entitled to any financial assistance, please get in touch with the Guidance Centre at Barnstaple on 01271 338125 or Tiverton on 01884 235245. Our Guidance team will be happy to discuss your individual needs.

Barnstaple/Tiverton Bus Routes

Download the Barnstaple Bus Routes Map

Download the Tiverton Bus Routes Map

Download the Tiverton Bus Routes Map (July 2015 onwards)

More Information

If you are interested in either subsidised travel schemes and you fit the criteria above, if you haven't heard anything by Mid June, please get in touch with the Guidance Centre on 01271 338125.

Public Bus Services

Most areas of Devon are served by public bus services and the majority of our students find this the easiest travel option. It is worth investigating the costs as in many cases buying a weekly or monthly ticket would work out more cost effective.


01392 427711

Beacon Bus

01805 804240

Filers Travel

01271 863819

Turners Tours

01769 580242

If you are unsure of your route to college contact Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 or visit their website www.travelinesw.com.

There is also a new contracted Petroc service operating between Exmouth and Tiverton. For more information on this route, please contact Jo Goldsworthy on 01884 235245.

Other Travel Options

Devon Wheels to Work

National Rail

Travel Devon


This page was last modified: Monday 20th April 2015 @ 9:20 AM