This package of study is designed to prepare you for academic routes at Level 3.
During the course, you will study the following GCSE subjects:
– Combined Science: This includes Chemistry, Physics and Biology. There are practical and theoretical sessions.
– English language: This is a fast track to improve your existing grade. It has a focus on reading historical and contemporary texts, and creative and transactional writing.
– Maths: This is a fast track to improve your existing grade. It offers a full GCSE curriculum with a focus on 15 key topics in preparation for calculator and non calculator exams.
– Psychology: This covers an intensive study of behaviours, legislation and community.
– Citizenship: This is an intensive study of social responsibility and expectations. You will have the opportunity to discuss and study life in modern Britain, politics and participation.
You will also undertake a Higher Technical Qualification. The HTQ will prepare you for independent study and is an opportunity to research a topic, theory or hobby that motivates and interests you. Topics and research proposals will be supported by lecturing staff.
All elements are externally marked with GCSE exams in the summer period. The HTQ will be internally assessed and externally verified.
All entrants must hold four GCSEs at grade 3 or equivalent (or above), preferably including GCSE Maths and English. If you do not have a GCSE grade 4 in Maths and/or English you will continue studying these subjects alongside your chosen course(s). At the end of the year, you are expected to have completed and achieved all the components of your Level 2 Study Programme and improved your Maths and English skills before progressing to your next level course
Upon successful completion of this course, you can progress on to a Level 3 course including A Levels or T Levels as well as apprenticeships.
Facilities and resources
During the course, you will use our excellent laboratory spaces, and get involved in employer engagement.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.