Advanced CAD Techniques (Tech Skills)
This short course develops the understanding and application of 2D techniques and standards, producing 3D wire-frame, surface and solid models. The Advanced CAD module utilises the use of SolidWorks – a recognized and well-used CAD package in industry.
During the course you will cover the following modules:
– Introduction to CAD concepts. Design Intent and Design for Manufacture.
– Introduction to the SolidWorks interface, Customising and Setting Document Properties.
– Methods of Part creation, editing and creating Parts in context.
– Creating Assemblies using Bottom-up and Top-down methods.
– Introduction to SolidWorks ‘Sheet Metal’ function.
– Using ‘Equations’ and creating ‘Design Tables’ within the Part creation process.
– Introduction to Drafting. Incorporating the use of ‘Geometric Tolerances’ within the Drafting setting.
– Use of SolidWorks for ‘Additive Manufacture’ and Laser Cutting of materials.
The course will incorporate in-person learning including practical workshops, in-work activities, and self-directed study providing 50+ hours of tuition.
The course starts on 7 January 2022 and runs for 10 weeks.
You will be assessed thorough coursework.
This course is open to adults currently in work with the agreement of their employer, resident in Devon, Cornwall, Somerset, or Dorset. It is aimed at Level 4 (first year of a degree) and applicable for employees with relevant Level 3 qualifications (A Level, BTEC Level 3, Level 3 Diploma).
This course will enable potential career progression opportunities within this industry area.
Facilities and resources
You will be taught in our South West Institute of Technology (SWIoT) building – a state-of-the-art facility for training in technical subjects to create highly-skilled technicians and engineers.
Q: Is there a cost involved in this course?
A: No, Tech Skills courses are fully funded by the DfE In-Work Skills Pilot project
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.