Advanced Technical Diploma in Professional Cookery
What’s the recipe for a career as a professional chef or a restaurant supervisor? This qualification is certainly a main ingredient! Designed to help you broaden and refine your repertoire of skills in the production of complex and modern cuisine from around the world.
This programme covers the Technical Diploma in Professional Cookery Level 3 and is ideal for anyone wishing to advance their skills in knowledge in the Catering and Hospitality Industry.
This fast-paced and full programme advances your Level 2 knowledge and skills base, covering subject areas including:
– Complex meat dishes
– Poultry and game preparation and cookery
– Fish and shellfish preparation and cookery
– Complex vegetable dishes
– Complex sauces and soups
– Patisserie and confectionery techniques and products
– Hospitality supervision techniques
– Wine and food appreciation
– Table theatre
– Mixology and barista skills
– Financial management systems for hospitality
– Legal aspects relating to running or managing a catering business
As well as culinary skills, you’ll learn important theory too, such as managerial aspects of health and safety, supervisory skills, food costing and sourcing produce for the professional kitchen.
This programme is delivered in our modern industry-standard kitchen and will also introduce you to the use of modern cookery technology.
This course is a progression course from Level 2 Hospitality and Catering.
The Technical Diploma in Professional Cookery is assessed through a supervised practical and written assignment and a written exam.
You must have successfully completed a Level 2 in Hospitality and Catering or another equivalent qualification.
This course can lead to full-time employment in the Hospitality and Catering industry either in a restaurant, hotel, event or kitchen position. It can also enable you to work abroad in a ski chalet setting or similar. Alternatively, the UCAS points will help you to advance further and progress onto university.
Facilities and resources
The state-of-the-art Lifestyle Centre is home to Petroc’s public-facing facilities. The Taw Restaurant, with its stunning views across Barnstaple, will provide you with unique opportunities to engage with customers and hone your skills in our industry-standard training kitchens.
Q: Can I do this course straight from school?
A: In order to be practically competent in cookery, all students have to undertake and complete Level 2 Professional Cookery and Hospitality pathway first. So, the Level 2 is the course you will need to apply for if coming directly from school.
Q: Is this a practical course?
A: Yes, it has been designed to enhance your skills further, whilst giving you the knowledge to be a professional in catering.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.