Award in Introduction to Health, Childcare & Education
This introductory programme combines classroom theory and practical learning to provide a taster in a range of subject areas. Each of the programmes has been carefully crafted to provide you with maximum exposure to the types of skills you will experience in the work environment or within further study with us at Petroc. You will learn from curriculum experts in their field of expertise.
During the one-year programme, you will learn the core knowledge that underpins each industry and you will also develop occupationally-specific skills that will allow you to progress onto a higher level of study within your chosen specialism.
The course encompasses a qualification in health, childcare and education.
Some of the units covered within this course could include:
– Sharing learning experiences with children
– Growth and development of young children
– Introduction to working within a health and social care environment
You will achieve this by undertaking an assortment of carefully composed study components including core & specialist modules, a tutorial programme, and the opportunity to improve your GCSE maths and English. The course also supports you in developing your study skills.
Assessment could be through a range of written based assignments, examinations or practical based assessment.
You must hold four GCSEs at grade 2 or equivalent (or above), preferably including Maths and English. If you do not have a GCSE grade 4 in Maths and/or English, you’ll continue studying these subjects alongside your chosen course(s). At the end of the year, you are expected to have completed and achieved all the components of your Level 1 Study Programme and improved your Maths and English skills (where applicable) before progressing on to your next course.
Upon successful completion of this course, you can progress onto the Transition to T Level in Childcare and Education, Transition to T Level in Health or other transition to T Level programmes.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.