Award in Skills for Employment, Training & Personal Development
The Award in Skills for Employment, Training and Personal Development is a pre-Access to HE course and aims to prepare students for an Access to Higher Education Diploma or higher education study. It is particularly suitable for learners who:
– do not currently hold the required Level 2 qualifications to gain entry onto an Access to HE Diploma.
– have been out of education for a while.
– would like an introduction to study before starting an Access to HE Diploma or HE course.
The course will be delivered through a combination of online and in-person teaching and will include modules covering academic skills, professional skills and psychology to provide you with the skills and preparation needed for any Access to HE or HE programme.
Please note: You do not need to be progressing onto a psychology-specific course. The psychology unit is designed to develop the skills, knowledge and behaviours that will prepare you for progression onto a range of different courses.
You may be eligible for funding to cover the fees for this course if you are aged between 19-23 with at least one Level 2 qualification and in receipt of benefit or low wage, or are aged 24+ and in receipt of benefit or low wage. If you do not meet the criteria for your age range, please contact us as there may be other funding opportunities available to you.
*This Award is currently undergoing approval with the validating agency ready for an August start.
Apply for this course
Select from the start date/s below…
The award will be assessed with one assignment to be submitted on the last day of attendance. This will include a portfolio of structured questions and evidence of work, to document your subject knowledge, while at the same time applying and analysing the skills that have been used to help with this task.
The award is suitable for anyone who is looking to progress onto Access to HE Diplomas in Health Professions, Science or Humanities at Petroc. This award can also be completed if you would like an introduction to study and the opportunity to develop essential skills before progressing on to a Higher Education course at Petroc.
Facilities and resources
This course will be held in our new university centre which consists of study spaces, kitchen facilitates and computer rooms for teaching and independent study. You will also have access to reading materials, and resources in the library and online.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.