Certificate in Gym Instructing
This programme is ideal for anyone who wants to pursue a physically active course, combined with theoretical learning and work experience in order to work in the health and fitness industry as a Gym Instructor.
Units you will study include:
– Anatomy and physiology for exercise
– Knowing how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity
– Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
– Principles of exercise, fitness and health
– Planning gym-based exercise
– Instructing gym-based exercise
Much of this course is carried out practically, in the gym environment, alongside learning theoretical elements in a classroom.
As a part of this programme, you will also gain valuable practical work experience in a fitness centre or gym.
There are a range of assessments which include worksheets, a multiple-choice examination and practical observations of fitness instructing. If you need to undertake Maths and English GCSE’s, then these qualifications are exam based.
All entrants must hold four GCSEs at grade 3 or equivalent (or above), preferably including GCSE Maths and English. If you do not have a GCSE grade 4 in Maths and/or English you will continue studying these subjects alongside your chosen course(s). At the end of the year, you are expected to have completed and achieved all the components of your Level 2 Study Programme and improved your Maths and English skills before progressing to your next level course
On successful completion of this course, you can move into employment in a gym, or you may wish to progress onto Level 3 in Personal Training or Uniformed Public Services.
Facilities and resources
The course will be taught in a variety of learning environments. These will include our specialist, high-quality fitness studio and our well-resourced Petroc gym.
Q: Do I need to be physically fit to attend the course?
A: No, however, you should take an interest in physical activity and gym-based exercise.
Q: Is this a full time or part-time course?
A: This course is a full-time programme, where you will study the Certificate in Fitness Instructing alongside a tutorial, work experience and Maths and English GCSE’s if needed. It is expected that you will attend between 3 and 4 days a week.
Q: What do I wear for the course?
A: Sport and fitness wear with sports trainers are sufficient for the course. College Fitness Instructing Uniform eg. polo shirts can be purchased.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.