Certificate in Understanding Nutrition & Health
Nutrition is the key to a healthy body and mind, and understanding the values of a diet and exercise plan is an important part of maintaining overall well-being. If you are working, or want to work, in areas such as sport and recreation, exercise and fitness, hospitality, catering or health care, this nationally accredited qualification is for you.
The course explores influential factors such as the principles of healthy eating, weight management and nutrition in the context of eating disorders, and explains how to prepare food safely in a home environment. It is suitable whether you want to improve your knowledge around diet and health for personal reasons, or wish to develop your employment opportunities. It’s also a great basis for progressing to other qualifications in any of these subject areas.
Units covered in this programme include:
– Explore the principles of healthy eating: This unit explores healthy diets and how a person’s diet affects their health. You also look at lifestyle diseases, the role of different nutrients, how to plan a healthy meal and how to prepare food.
– Consider nutritional needs of a variety of individuals: You look at how nutritional needs vary with age and this unit explores the needs of children and older people, as well as the special dietary requirements of certain groups. The factors that create barriers to healthy eating for individuals are also explained.
– Use food and nutrition information to plan a healthy diet: You will gain an awareness of the information placed on food labels and how this can be used to plan healthy meals and encourage a healthy diet. The advantages and disadvantages of food additives are explained and learners will evaluate their own diet.
– The principles of weight management: This unit explores the risks associated with ineffective weight management and effective methods of weight management. You will look at how body image can influence weight management and will learn how to plan a short-term weight management programme.
– Understanding eating disorders: You will explore different eating disorders and their effect on health and well-being. This unit also provides an understanding of the connection between food and feelings and explains how to access information and support surrounding eating disorders.
– Principles of food safety in the home environment: In this unit you will understand food safety in a home environment. You will investigate safe handling of food, food storage and food disposal, as well as look at correct cooking temperatures to ensure food is safe to eat.
Each unit is assessed through short answer questions of at least one paragraph. Assessments are completed online via our online assessment platform or you can request the paper-based assessments that you will need to post back to us.
You must be over 19 and have been resident in the UK for at least three years.
Aged 19 – 23 must hold a full Level 2 qualification.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course. This is a knowledge based qualification and therefore a good level of literacy, reading and writing is essential.
You can enrol onto other Level 2 subject specific qualifications or progress onto higher level courses.
Facilities and resources
For learners wishing to study fully online, full details on how to access the platform will be emailed after your induction call.
For those requesting workbooks with online assessments, your books will be posted to you after your induction call. Once you have received these you will be emailed full details to access the platform.
If you want to complete paper-based assessments you will have the option to request these when you enrol.
Q: How long will this course take to complete?
A: This is a distance / home study course, so you can study at your own pace and at a time to suit you within a 16 week period. A subject specialist tutor will be allocated to you and you can email them should you have any questions relating to your course. It is important that you can work independently and be dedicated to set time aside each week for your studies, we recommend that you allow a minimum of 8 to 10 hours a week. Remember that your study time counts towards your CPD – Continuing Professional Development.
Q: How much does this course cost?
A: There is no cost for this qualification. However, if you do not complete your course inside the agreed timescale without a valid reason there will be a charge of £125.
Q: How do I apply?
A: To apply for this course click the Apply Now button or for further information call our Distance Learning Team on 01271 852354 or email email@example.com
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.