Certificate in Understanding Retail Operations
The UK retail industry is one of the largest private sector employers, yet experiences a higher than average staff turnover at 17% across the sector. With over 60 million customers making 320 million transactions per week, there is a constant need for workers with the knowledge and understanding to continue the success of the sector.
This qualification aims to provide you with a thorough understanding of retail operations, including effective customer service, teamwork and understanding what to expect when working in the retail sector.
Units covered in this programme include:
– Understanding customer service in the retail sector: In this unit, you will learn how effective customer service is to a retail business whilst looking into customer needs, service procedures and complaints.
– Understanding the retail selling process: This unit will increase your understanding of the benefits of product knowledge and using questions to identify customer needs.
– Understanding how individuals and teams contribute to the effectiveness of a retail business: In this unit, you will cover various aspects involved in the effectiveness of a retail business, including employment rights and responsibilities and the importance of effective teamwork and communication skills.
– Understanding how a retail business maintains health and safety on its premises: This unit will increase your understanding of health and safety in a retail environment, including what actions to take in an emergency and what is safe working practice.
– Understanding retail consumer law: In this unit, you will examine consumer legislation, which includes protection against unfair trading practices. You will also learn about the consequences for businesses and employees of contravening retail law.
– Understand how to deal with customer queries and complaints in a retail environment: In this unit, you will gain an understanding of how to resolve queries and complaints in a retail environment and how this could contribute to customer confidence.
– Understanding the handling of customer payments in a retail business: This unit will help you to develop an understanding of the different payment methods accepted from retail customers and the risks involved in handling payments. This will cover the key responsibilities of a retail cashier.
– Understanding the control, receipt and storage of stock in a retail business: In this unit, you will generate an understanding of the importance of having the right stock levels and will learn how goods are received and how stock should be stored to prevent damage or loss.
Each unit is assessed through short answer questions of at least one paragraph. Assessments are completed online via our online assessment platform or you can request the paper-based assessments that you will need to post back to us.
You must be over 19 and have been resident in the UK for at least three years.
Aged 19 – 23 must hold a full Level 2 qualification.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course. This is a knowledge based qualification and therefore a good level of literacy, reading and writing is essential.
You can enrol onto other Level 2 subject specific qualifications or progress onto higher level courses.
Facilities and resources
For learners wishing to study fully online, full details on how to access the platform will be emailed after your induction call.
For those requesting workbooks with online assessments, your books will be posted to you after your induction call. Once you have received these you will be emailed full details to access the platform.
If you want to complete paper-based assessments you will have the option to request these when you enrol.
Q: How long will this course take to complete?
A: This is a distance / home study course, so you can study at your own pace and at a time to suit you within a 16 week period. A subject specialist tutor will be allocated to you and you can email them should you have any questions relating to your course. It is important that you can work independently and be dedicated to set time aside each week for your studies, we recommend that you allow a minimum of 8 to 10 hours a week. Remember that your study time counts towards your CPD – Continuing Professional Development.
Q: How much does this course cost?
A: There is no cost for this qualification. However, if you do not complete your course inside the agreed timescale without a valid reason there will be a charge of £125.
Q: How do I apply?
A: To apply for this course click the Apply Now button or for further information call our Distance Learning Team on 01271 852354 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.