Certificate in Understanding The Principles of Dementia Care
With 850,000 people in the UK living with dementia, and this number expected to rise to over one million by 2025, dementia is a growing issue which impacts upon the individual as well those who support them.
This course will enable you to develop an in-depth understanding of dementia and its effects, by exploring the various types of dementia, the importance of early diagnosis, as well as focusing on person-centred approaches to dementia care.
– Understanding Dementia: In this unit you will investigate the common types, causes and effects of dementia. You will gain an understanding of the importance of early diagnosis and an insight into the effects and experience of dementia.
– Understand how person-centred approaches are used to underpin the care and support of individuals with dementia: Throughout this unit you will gain an understanding of the importance of person-centred care for individuals with dementia. You will investigate how each individual’s experience of dementia is different and how they can be supported. You will also understand how to promote person-centred values.
– Principles of communication and interaction in dementia care and support: In this unit you will investigate various ways in which individuals with dementia may communicate. You will then look into the factors that would influence interactions and communication. Throughout the unit will also gain an understanding of how communication and positive interactions are an effective part of caring for and supporting individuals with dementia.
– Supporting positive interaction, occupation and activity in dementia care: In this unit you will understand the range and benefits of positive interactions in dementia care. You will look at the various approaches and how to support them. You will then investigate how individuals with dementia can engage in activity and occupation, and gain an understanding of how to engage with individuals with dementia to promote identity and inclusion.
– Principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia care and support: Within this unit you will understand the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion within the context of dementia care. You will understand how to recognise and challenge discrimination and oppressive practices.
– Understand how to support individuals with dementia to exercise choice and rights: In this unit you will understand how the rights of individuals with dementia are protected. You will go on to gain an understanding of how to support individuals with dementia to exercise choice and make decisions, involving carers and others. You will also understand how to enable the individual with dementia to exercise their rights and choices.
– Principles of the administration of medication and wellbeing of individuals with dementia: Within this final unit you will gain an understanding of the common medication that could be used for individuals with dementia and how to support the individual.
Each unit is assessed through short answer questions of at least one paragraph. Assessments are completed online via our online assessment platform or you can request the paper-based assessments that you will need to post back to us.
We would expect learners to be working in the sector and have already completed the Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Dementia Care.
You must be over 19 and have been resident in the UK for at least three years.
Aged 19 – 23 must hold a full Level 2 qualification.
This is a knowledge based qualification and therefore a good level of literacy, reading and writing is essential.
You can enrol onto other Level 2 subject specific qualifications or progress onto higher level courses.
Facilities and resources
For learners wishing to study fully online, full details on how to access the platform will be emailed after your induction call.
For those requesting workbooks with online assessments, your books will be posted to you after your induction call. Once you have received these you will be emailed full details to access the platform.
If you want to complete paper-based assessments you will have the option to request these when you enrol.
Q:How long will it take to complete this course?
A: This is a distance / home study course, so you can study at your own pace and at a time to suit you, within a 26 week period. A subject specialist tutor will be allocated to you and you can email them should you have any questions relating to your course.
Q: How many hours a week will I need to study?
A: It is important that you can work independently and be dedicated to set time aside each week for your studies, we recommend that you allow a minimum of 7 hours a week. Remember that your study time counts towards your CPD – Continuing Professional Development.
Q: Can I get any support with paying for this course:
A: This course can be funded through the governments advanced learner loan scheme – visit https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan for more information
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.