Construction (Design, Surveying and Planning) T Level
T Levels combine classroom theory, practical learning and a minimum 45-day industry placement with an employer to make sure you have real experience of the workplace. The Technical Qualification (TQ) is the main classroom-based element of the T Level and will see you learn from a curriculum that has been shaped by industry experts. T Level courses have been developed in collaboration with employers and businesses so that the content will meet the needs of industry and prepare you for work. They provide the knowledge and experience needed to open the door to highly skilled employment, an apprenticeship or higher-level study, including university.
During the two-year programme, you will learn the core knowledge that underpins each industry and you will also develop occupationally-specific skills that will allow you to enter skilled employment within a specific occupation.
The construction industry is of global importance and worth £90 billion annually in the UK. The impact that the construction industry has on daily life is diverse, from the domestic building, maintenance and the provision of key building services, to large projects in civil engineering, providing essential public infrastructure in the form of roads, schools and hospitals. All careers in construction require good communication skills, time management, a strong customer focus and the ability to work both in teams and with other trades. The skills learned for craft trades lead not only to a rewarding career but can also be used as a foundation from which to progress to advanced craft, technician, supervisory or management occupations, where established professional development routes and occupational standards exist.
This Technical Qualification has been developed in consultation with employers in the construction industry to ensure you learn the skills and behaviours that will give you the best opportunity to be successful when applying for work.
The content is split into a core component that is common to all Construction T Levels, and a choice of one from four occupational specialisms, which are specific to this T Level in Construction: Design, Surveying and Planning.
The specialisms are:
– Surveying and Design for Construction and the Built Environment
– Civil Engineering
– Building Services Design
– Hazardous Materials Analysis and Surveying.
The core component provides a broad understanding of the construction industry and covers the following construction-related topics:
– Health and safety
– Construction and the built environment industry
– Building technology
– Information and data
– Relationship management
– Digital technology
– Project management
The core component will be assessed through a project set by employers in the industry and two externally-set tests. Your choice of occupational specialism will allow you to develop the relevant skills in preparation for your career in construction. Each occupational specialism is assessed through a project that is created in conjunction with relevant employers. The occupational specialisms will cover topics specific to that aspect of the construction industry, as follows:
a) Surveying and Design for Construction and the Built Environment
– Measuring the built environment
– Analysing the built environment
– Designing the built environment
– Verifying the delivery of the built environment
b) Civil Engineering
– Analysing civil engineering solutions
– Designing civil engineering solutions
– Verifying the delivery of civil engineering solutions
c) Building Services Design
– Analysing building services solutions
– Designing building services solutions
– Verifying the delivery of building services solutions
d) Hazardous Materials Analysis and Surveying
– Inspecting the built environment
– Identifying hazardous materials
– Analysing hazardous materials.
As part of this Technical Qualification, you will also enhance your broader skills in literacy and numeracy, which will be invaluable in supporting progression in other areas. In addition, you will develop transferable technical and practical skills in communication (working with colleagues, customers and clients), research and project work, providing you with an opportunity to demonstrate your reflective practice by suggesting alternative approaches to a problem.
You will take a combination of exams and written based assignments and practical tasks as part of this qualification.
To be accepted onto this T Level programme, you will need a Grade 5 in English, Maths and Science, as well as at least two other GCSEs at Grade 5 or above.
Achieving this Technical Qualification will give you an advantage when applying for a job in construction in your chosen occupational specialism or when progressing to further study in
Q: What elements make up a T Level?
A: The T Level is made up of four component parts, with the Technical Qualification being the substantial component:
1. Technical Qualification
2. Industry Placement
3. Level 2 English and maths
4. Any other relevant industry qualifications deemed appropriate by the T Level panel.
Q: Is there an age restircition for T Level?
A: Yes, T Levels are for learners aged 16-19.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.