This one-year Certificate in Core Maths will enable you to develop the skills and knowledge gained at GCSE.
It is an incredibly useful qualification that will enable you to develop the mathematical, quantitative and statistical skills needed to support other subjects, as well as leave you better prepared for employment and further study. It’s an ideal option if you have passed GCSE Mathematics at grade 4 or above, but have decided not to continue it at A Level.
During the course you will study:
– Introduction to quantitative reasoning: Modelling, statistics and financial mathematics in a variety of contexts. Using appropriate technology to work with quantitative information.
– Critical maths: Learn how to think flexibly and use your mathematical and statistical knowledge to make logical and reasoned decisions.
This course is designed to be studied alongside three A Levels. Please add to your basket when selecting your other A Level courses.
You will undertake two exams each lasting two hours.
Core Maths qualifications are equal in size to an AS Level qualification and are graded A-E.
To be accepted onto this Level 3 programme, you must hold at least five GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including GCSE Maths and English Language.
Core Maths has the same UCAS tariff points as an AS Level qualification and will aid university applications.
Q: Can I study this alongside A Levels?
A: Yes, this course can be studied on top of your chosen three A Levels. It will support other subjects and help improve grades.
Q: Can I study this alongside my vocational course?
A: No, this course is only available to those studying A Levels.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.