Diploma in Bricklaying
This programme seeks to develop the skills already gained at Level 1.
The focus of the course is improving on and learning new practical skills and underpinning knowledge, to enable you to embark upon a progression route in college or a career in the construction industry as a bricklayer.
– Building methods
– Construction technology
– Working drawings
– Setting out basic masonry structures
– Thin joint masonry
– Timber frame construction
– Solid walling
– Isolated and attached piers
– Cavity walling foundations
– Vernacular cavity walling
You will also learn to develop the business skills needed to become a successful bricklayer.
You may be offered additional qualifications which will be discussed with you during induction week.
All aspects of the course will be studied through both classroom-based theory sessions and practical based workshop sessions, and you will have the opportunity to develop your Maths and English skills if you have not achieved a GCSE 4/5 in these areas.
You will be assessed on your theory and practical project work throughout the course.
All entrants must hold four GCSEs at grade 3 or equivalent (or above), preferably including GCSE Maths and English. If you do not have a GCSE grade 4 in Maths and/or English you will continue studying these subjects alongside your chosen course(s). At the end of the year, you are expected to have completed and achieved all the components of your Level 2 Study Programme and improved your Maths and English skills before progressing to your next level course
Towards the end of your course, your personal tutor will discuss possible progression routes with you. These may include a Level 3 construction T Level or a construction apprenticeship.
Facilities and resources
Practical sessions will be taught in our fully-equipped trowel occupations workshop.
Q: Is there any equipment needed to participate on this course?
A: You will need to purchase safety clothing including boots and overalls. You are also required to provide your own stationery and textbooks – a full equipment list will be provided at interview
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.