Diploma in Creative Media Production & Technology
This Diploma in Creative Media Production & Technology is perfect if you want to study a media qualification. It will enable you to gain a broad understanding of the discipline and prepare you for the reality of the sector and the progression paths and careers available.
It’s been developed with leading businesses, schools and colleges to help you gain the knowledge, skills, and work experience that you will need for your next step, and that employers look for in future employees.
Units covered within this course include:
– Introduction to creative media methods and skills
– Introduction to production techniques in creative media
– Understanding an audience in creative media production
– Contextual research for creative media production
– Exploring audio production and technology
– Exploring visual production and technology
– Exploring interactive media production and technology
– Personal project and presentation in creative media production
Units are combined into larger projects to simulate industry briefs. Projects could include magazine design, game design, photography, film, advertisement, documentary, company rebranding through web design/graphic design etc. The final major project will give you the opportunity to develop your own project using the necessary understanding, skills and knowledge obtained throughout the programme.
Assessment will be through a variety of methods which could include practical activities, written activities or externally assessed content.
All entrants must hold four GCSEs at grade 3 or equivalent (or above), preferably including GCSE Maths and English. If you do not have a GCSE grade 4 in Maths and/or English you will continue studying these subjects alongside your chosen course(s). At the end of the year, you are expected to have completed and achieved all the components of your Level 2 Study Programme and improved your Maths and English skills before progressing to your next level course
If you have not completed a creative subject at school, you will need to provide a portfolio of creative work at interview.
If you do not have a GCSE grade 4 in Maths and/or English you will continue studying these subjects alongside your chosen course.
At the end of the year, you are expected to have completed and achieved all the components of your Level 2 Study Programme and improved your Maths and English skills before progressing to your next level course.
This course is aimed at anyone interested in going on to study on one of our Level 3 Creative Media courses.
Facilities and resources
You will have access to a range of equipment and facilities required for your studies in Creative Media. These include, but are not limited to the following:
– Photography studio kitted out with studio lighting, tripods and backgrounds
– Mac/PC labs with relevant software installed including the full Adobe Creative Cloud, Blender, Unity etc
– DSLR cameras useful for both Photography and Film, paired with a range of both prime and zooming lenses
– Sound recording equipment
– Podcast studio
– Recording studio
New equipment is purchased each year to keep up with industry standards.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.