Diploma in Painting & Decorating
This course is for you if you’re interested in a career in the decorating trade.
You’ll expand on skills learnt at Level 1 and learn new techniques and skills to get a broad understanding of the painting and decorating trade, as well as the diversity of work that can be achieved after this programme.
Modules covered on this course include:
– Health, safety and welfare
– Knowledge of technical information, quantities and communication
– Knowledge of construction technologies
– Preparing surfaces for decoration
– Applying paint systems by roller and brush
– Applying standard papers to ceilings and walls
– Producing specialist decorative finishes
– Colour theory and application
– Erecting and dismantling access equipment and working platforms.
All aspects of the course will be studied through both classroom-based theory sessions and practical-based workshop sessions. You will also have the opportunity to develop your Maths and English skills if you have not achieved a GCSE grade 5/4 in these areas.
This course is designed to be a direct progression from the Level 1 programme.
Through your studies, you will complete 8 unit knowledge end tests. After training and practising skills, you will complete 28 practical assignments within the 8 units of study which will be graded from Pass to Distinction.
Successful completion of Level 1 course in Decorative Occupations or relevant experience is required. You may be permitted to join the Level 2 programme directly if you have relevant trade knowledge or several years of skills experience.
You will be able to use this qualification to help you gain employment and continue training. Alternatively, you can continue to study on the Level 3 Diploma in Painting and Decorating or another Level 3 programme within architecture and construction.
Facilities and resources
You will attend the painting and decorating workshop at Petroc’s main campus in Barnstaple which is fully equipped to support a wide range of practical activities and has separate classrooms and IT facilities. All trainers and assessor have several years’ trade experience and are approved by the awarding body, City and Guilds.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.