Diploma in Preparation for Public Services
This course is designed for anyone who wishes to pursue a career in the public services sector (police, fire, paramedic, armed forces).
The units cover a wide range of topics to ultimately prepare you for a career the public service and help you with your career options.
Units covered include:
– Public service skills and support for the community: Building confidence with the use of various transferable skills such as communication and leadership.
– Employment in uniformed public services: This unit will enable you to research various job roles within the public services and the requirements needed to apply.
– Health and fitness for entry into the uniformed public services: Taking an in-depth look at why those in the public services need to be fit and healthy, and the need for fitness testing.
– Activities and teamwork for the public services: This unit focuses on teamwork and leadership including practical teambuilding activities.
– Sport and recreation in the public services: You will gain an introduction to a variety of different sports and why they are encouraged within the public services.
– Expedition and land navigation skills: This unit provides both mental and physical challenges with regards to planning and participating in land navigation exercises.
– Crime and its effects on society: You will develop an understanding of the legal systems and police powers as well as case studies on crime.
– Attending emergency incidents in the public services: You will investigate the concept of fire and emergency incidents, their causes and prevention as well as the various roles carried out by the emergency services.
Assessments are all internal and will include reports, essays, presentations and practical assessments.
All entrants must hold four GCSEs at grade 3 or equivalent (or above), preferably including GCSE Maths and English. If you do not have a GCSE grade 4 in Maths and/or English you will continue studying these subjects alongside your chosen course(s). At the end of the year, you are expected to have completed and achieved all the components of your Level 2 Study Programme and improved your Maths and English skills before progressing to your next level course
An enthusiasm to take part and work with other team members in order to achieve, is a key quality for success on this course.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to progress on to the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Uniformed Protective Services or Level 3 Sport & Outdoor Activities at Petroc. There are a huge number of employment opportunities available within various Public Services including the British Army, Police, Fire Service and jobs within the NHS.
Facilities and resources
We have excellent facilities for the practical elements of this course including gym, sports hall, fitness studio and sports field. We also have classrooms with whiteboards/interactive boards/speakers.
Q. I’m not sure which of the Public services is right for me? Will this course help me to decide?
A. Yes, this course will give you a range of experiences and you will learn about a number of different public services careers. This will give you an insight into which area of Public Services you like the best, and help you to decide where to focus your next steps.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.