If a career in the electrical industry – or other industries that rely on electrical installation skills – is what you want, this course is a great place to start.
The content of the course is based around electrical construction and is ideal for you if you would like to work in the industry but do not yet have an apprenticeship.
This study programme has five mandatory units, which between them cover:
– Electrical installation theory and technology
– Electrical installation methods, procedures and requirements
– Electrical installation craft skills
– Electrical science and principles
– Health and safety
Within the qualification, you will have the opportunity to utilise the IET On-Site Guide, and also be introduced to how regulations (including BS 7671) affect electrical installation. The qualification covers standard circuits as described in the On-Site Guide.
You will also learn how to prepare for an interview and manage your study skills.
Your study programme will include tutorial sessions and an opportunity for you to find work experience. You will also study Maths and English if a GCSE at grade 5/4 or above has not previously been achieved in these subjects.
Your progress is assessed through a combination of practical assessments and written exams. All aspects of the course will be studied through both classroom-based theory sessions and practical-based workshop sessions.
You must hold four GCSEs at grade 2 or equivalent (or above), preferably including Maths and English. If you do not have a GCSE grade 4 in Maths and/or English, you’ll continue studying these subjects alongside your chosen course(s). At the end of the year, you are expected to have completed and achieved all the components of your Level 1 Study Programme and improved your Maths and English skills (where applicable) before progressing on to your next course.
Passing this study programme is a stepping stone to the Level 2 Electrical Installation course. You could also choose to progress to an apprenticeship or other programmes within the architecture and construction field.
Facilities and resources
Practical sessions will take place in our fully-equipped specialised electrical workshops.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.