Engineering Operative (Fabrication) – Apprenticeship (Standard)
Engineering Operatives carry out a range of engineering operations which could include ensuring machines and equipment used are maintained and serviceable, dealing with breakdowns, restoring components and systems to serviceable condition by repair and replacement; operating a variety of machines; assembling and repairing machines and much more.
During this apprenticeship, you will be required to learn the following knowledge, skills and behaviours:
– How to obtain the necessary job instructions, engineering drawings and specifications and how to interpret them.
– Relevant statutory, quality, environmental compliance procedures/systems, organisational and health and safety regulations relating to engineering operations.
– Their individual roles and responsibilities within the organisation and the flexibility required to support the achievement of company targets.
– Engineering operational practices, processes and procedures.
– Potential problems that can occur within the engineering operations and how they can be avoided.
– Work safely at all times, complying with health and safety legislation, regulations, environmental compliance procedures and systems and other relevant guidelines.
– Identify and deal appropriately with any risks, hazards, hazardous situations and problems that may occur within the engineering environment.
– Demonstrate effective communication skills which include oral, written, electronic.
– Complete appropriate documentation accurately, efficiently and legibly using the correct terminology where required.
– Obtain and follow the correct documentation, specifications and work instructions in accordance with time constraints and the roles and responsibilities identified for the engineering activities, extracting the necessary data/information from specification and related documentation.
– Select and use appropriate tools, equipment and materials to carry out the engineering operation.
– Deal appropriately with any problems that may occur within the manufacturing environment.
– Work efficiently and effectively at all times maintaining workplace organisation and minimising waste.
– Personal responsibility and resilience.
– Work effectively in teams.
– Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
– Focus on quality and problem solving.
– Continuous personal development.
Engineering Operatives working within a fabrication role will have:
– Specific marking out and preparation techniques.
– Different fabrication and joining techniques.
– Specific safe working practices, isolation procedures and safe reinstating of equipment/system that need to be observed.
– Shape the materials using the appropriate methods and techniques.
– Join the materials using the appropriate methods and techniques.
– Produce components which meet the specification requirements.
– Carryout quality checks during and after the fabrication activities.
Apply for this course
Select from the start date/s below…
You will be required to undertake an end-point assessment which includes a practical observation and a professional discussion.
Apprentices without Level 1 (or equivalent) in English and maths must ensure that they achieve Level 1 and take the test for Level 2 prior to taking the end-point assessment.
Upon completion of this apprenticeship, you could further develop your knowledge through a higher level apprenticeship.
Facilities and resources
As an apprentice, you will have full access to the college facilities including mechanical and mechatronics workshops, CAD and computer suites.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.