Engineering Operative (Maintenance) – Apprenticeship (Standard)
As an Engineering Operative Apprentice, you will learn how to carry out a range of engineering operations which could include ensuring machines and equipment used are maintained and serviceable, dealing with breakdowns, restoring components and systems; assembling and repairing machines; fabrication/installation of a wide variety of sheet fabrications and equipment; preparing materials and equipment for engineering processes.
During this apprenticeship, you will be required to learn the following knowledge, skills and behaviours:
– How to obtain the necessary job instructions, engineering drawings and specifications and how to interpret them.
– Relevant statutory, quality, environmental compliance procedures/systems, organisational and health and safety regulations.
– Your individual role and responsibility within the organisation
– Potential problems that can occur within the engineering operations and how they can be avoided.
– Work safely at all times, complying with health and safety legislation, regulations, environmental compliance procedures and systems.
– Identify and deal appropriately with any risks, hazards, hazardous situations and problems that may occur within the engineering environment.
– Demonstrate effective communication skills which include oral, written, electronic.
– Complete appropriate documentation accurately, efficiently and legibly using the correct terminology where required.
– Obtain and follow the correct documentation, specifications and work instructions in accordance with time constraints and the roles and responsibilities identified for the engineering activities, extracting the necessary data/information from specification and related documentation.
– Select and use appropriate tools, equipment and materials to carry out the engineering operation.
– Deal appropriately with any problems that may occur within the manufacturing environment.
– Work efficiently and effectively at all times maintaining workplace organisation and minimising waste.
– Personal responsibility and resilience.
– Work effectively in teams.
– Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
– Focus on quality and problem solving.
– Continuous personal development.
A range of assessment methods are used throughout the framework which varies from on-line tests, assignments, practical tasks and observations.
You must have secured employment in order to start this programme and have a good basic education. Some employers will ask for GCSEs in English and Maths at Level 4 or above. Enthusiasm for your subject and a willingness to work hard are essential.
Upon completion of this apprenticeship, you could further develop your knowledge through a higher level apprenticeship.
Facilities and resources
As an apprentice, you will have full access to the college facilities.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.