Engineering Technician (Technical Support) – Apprenticeship (Standard)
Technical Support Technicians, work as part of a team to provide technical support and expertise for all areas of the Engineering and Manufacturing function including communications software, test, analysis tools, measurement, off line programming, process control, performance and continuous improvement solutions, capacity planning, production scheduling/planning, product technical applications and capability, technical sales and marketing support, product development and innovation, engineering drawing, purchasing and/or supply of goods or services for engineering activities, quality control, inspection and e-commerce technologies as required. They will be able to work with minimum supervision, taking responsibility for the quality, accuracy and timely delivery of the work they undertake. They will be proactive in finding solutions to problems and identifying areas for improving the business.
During this apprenticeship, you will be required to learn the following knowledge, skills and behaviours:
– Understanding the importance of complying with statutory, quality, organisational and health and safety regulations.
– Understanding of general engineering/manufacturing mathematical and scientific principles, methods, techniques, graphical expressions, symbols formulae and calculations used by engineering technicians.
– Understanding the structure, properties and characteristics of common materials used in the sector.
– Understanding the typical problems that may arise.
– Understanding approved diagnostic methods and techniques used to solve problems.
– Understanding the importance of only using current approved processes, procedures, documentation.
– Understanding and interpreting relevant engineering/manufacturing data and documentation.
– Understanding the different roles and functions in the organisation.
– Understanding why it is important for an organisation to continually review processes and procedures.
– Obtaining, checking and using the appropriate documentation.
– Working safely at all times.
– Planning and obtaining resources required to undertake the work activity.
– Undertaking the work activity using the correct processes, procedures and equipment.
– Carrying out the required checks.
– Dealing promptly and effectively with problems.
– Completing any required documentation using the defined recording systems.
– Restoring the work area on completion of the activity.
– Personal responsibility, resilience and ethics.
– Work effectively in teams.
– Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
– Focus on quality and problem solving.
– Continuous personal development.
– Understand mathematical techniques, formula and calculations.
– Understand the methods and techniques used to evaluate technical data and documentation.
– Understand how to identify that the data and documentation being used is current and up to date.
– Understand the procedure to be used for making changes to issued documentation.
– Understand where and how to source other areas of technical expertise/information.
– Understand the requirements of the customer.
– Produce technical documentation that contains all the relevant and necessary data and information.
– Present the technical documentation in the required format.
– Ensure that codes and other references used in the documentation follows agreed conventions.
– Save and store technical documentation in the correct format.
– Make any changes/amendments to the technical documentation using agreed quality assurance control procedures.
– Develop effective customer relationships.
– Provide technical advice and guidance to others.
– Contribute to the business by identifying possible opportunities for improving working practices, processes and/or procedures.
Apply for this course
You’ll be assessed via a combination of practical assignments, written exams and assessments, and computer-based tests. For your Level 2 Milling, Turning and Bench Fitting practical assessments, you’ll be required to correctly read a technical drawing, and make the product to the given specifications. There will also be a number of written assessments for each discipline. Business Improvement will be taught and implemented at Level 2, and assessed via a written exam. Maths, Science, and Working in an Engineering Environment is taught extensively in the first year, and will be assessed via an external computer-based test. Engineering Techniques will be assessed via a written exam.
You will be required to achieve Level 2 English and Maths prior to completing your apprenticeship.
Upon successful completion of this course, you can advance to a Level 4 Higher Apprenticeship or progress to Higher Education, and enrol on a related HNC or FdSc programme.
Facilities and resources
This programme will be taught at the Engineering Centre of Excellence, which is a specialist training and assessment facility for engineering and manufacturing students. The centre contains high-tech CAD facilities, 3D printing, electronics design and assembly, a fabrication and welding workshop, CNC and manual machining, and a bench fitting workshop.
You will have access to specialist workshops, laboratories, and high-quality CAD applications installed on industry-standard computer systems.
The Mechanical work is supported by a number of professional resources, including a machine shop, welding and sheet metal workshops, and a well-equipped science laboratory with a range of industrial testing equipment.
The Electrical, Electronic, and Digital Technology studies are supported by computer-assisted learning and virtual instrumentation in two classrooms, and a practical workshop where soldering of surface mount devices (SMD), through hole plated (THP) technologies, assembly, and circuit testing can take place.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.