Extended Diploma In Health & Social Care
This health and social care study programme is designed to give you a thorough introduction to working in the different health and social care settings, including children, vulnerable adults and older adults.
The course covers the theory you’ll need to understand how to meet the needs of different service users.
– Communication: Forms and contexts of communication. How communication develops positive relationships with service users and colleagues
– Equality, diversity and inclusion: How to treat service users fairly and in ways which are empowering. The importance of promoting the rights of service users
– Human lifespan development: Looking at how individuals develop from birth to old age. Learning about physical, cognitive, emotional and social needs
– Safeguarding and protection: How to keep service users safe and limit the likelihood of them experiencing harm and abuse
This is a full-time Level 2 programme is aimed at helping you gain the knowledge and skills required to support service users and understand how to meet their needs.
Assessment for this qualification is through coursework; there are no exams. For each unit, you will have to complete assessment tasks over the course of the academic year. Assessment tasks include activities such as case studies, personal experience, written reports and essays, presentations and completion of workbooks.
For GCSE English, you will be assessed by coursework and by a final exam. GCSE Maths is assessed by an exam at the end of the course. Functional Skills Maths and English are also assessed by a final exam. The people teaching you will make sure you are fully prepared for your exams.
All entrants must hold four GCSEs at grade 3 or equivalent (or above), preferably including GCSE Maths and English. If you do not have a GCSE grade 4 in Maths and/or English you will continue studying these subjects alongside your chosen course(s). At the end of the year, you are expected to have completed and achieved all the components of your Level 2 Study Programme and improved your Maths and English skills before progressing to your next level course
At your interview, you will need to show that you have a real interest in working in the health and social care sectors. You will also need a satisfactory enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
On successful completion, you could apply for our Level 3 Health and Social Care Programme, or an apprenticeship.
Facilities and resources
The college has its own computer system and you will be provided with log in details and shown how to use this system.
Petroc uses Google classroom to upload presentations, assignments and other resources that you need for your course. You can access these resources at any time remotely to help with coursework at home.
The college library has a good stock of health and social care books and you can borrow laptops overnight or for a weekend. There are also two study centres where you can book a computer to complete your college work. The staff in the study centres are always willing to help students find resources and information.
Q: Can I do this course if I have already done Health & Social Care at school?
A: Yes, as long as it is not the NCFE/Cache Extended Diploma. However, there are other options for you, please ask the Advice & Guidance Centre for more information.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
As this course requires you to undertake work placements with children and/or vulnerable adults, a DBS check is required.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.