Forensic and Criminal Investigation BTEC
The National Extended Diploma in Forensic and Criminal Investigation is a two-year programme that combines the study of pure and social science.
The programme is designed with academic rigour, in both pure and social sciences but will also enable you to develop and demonstrate transferable skills such as communication, teamwork, research and analysis valued both by employers and universities.
During the course you will study 13 units. The subject content includes units in both pure and social sciences.
These will include:
– Principles and applications of science
– Practical scientific procedures and techniques
– Science investigation skills
– Forensic investigations procedures in practice
– Applications of criminology
– Criminal investigation procedures in practice
– Applications of criminal and forensic psychology
– Practical chemical analysis
– Microbiology and microbiological techniques
– Environmental forensics
– Physiology of human body systems
– Forensic genetics
– Forensic anthropology and archaeology
Please note: This is a full-time course and cannot be taken alongside any other A Level or vocational courses.
Assessments are designed to fit the purpose and vocational nature of the qualification. You will take examinations, undertake coursework and take part in set tasks in class all of which will enable you to achieve the qualification.
To be accepted onto this Level 3 programme, you must hold at least five GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including GCSE Maths and English Language.
You will be required to have a grade 5/4 in Double Science or a 5 and a 4 in two separate sciences. In addition, you will be required to have grade 4 in Maths, grade 4 in English Language and 4 in another subject.
If you want to work in Forensic and Criminal Investigation as a scientist or as a Police Officer, we would recommend you ultimately achieve a degree level qualification. This programme will give direct entry to degree-level study and provide you with practical skills.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.