Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media Practice
This Foundation Diploma in Art, Media and Design will help bolster your emerging portfolio and get you ready for Higher Education applications.
Our dedicated and enthusiastic team of industry-experienced lecturers will introduce you to concepts and artists that will inspire your creative journey and challenge the way you create, think and write about art. In a dedicated studio space, you’ll experiment with materials and techniques from a range of disciplines.
Course topics will include:
You will cover three main units:
– Unit 1: In this unit, you will investigate visual language and creative practices. This will allow you to become familiar with a range of creative disciplines (art, design, craft and media) to support you in your specialism.
– Unit 2: This unit will provide you with the opportunity to reflect on the knowledge, skills and practices you have developed in Unit 1, and to define your creative ambitions by encouraging a holistic approach to a range of activities, which will support, contextualise and position your creative endeavour within your chosen specialist practice.
– Unit 3: This unit aims to provide you with an opportunity to take control of your own learning and demonstrate your achievement by independently initiating, researching, completing and evaluating a project proposal and its realisation within your chosen professional context. There will be opportunities to visit galleries, a trip to see National Exhibitions in London and potentially an exchange trip to Berlin, which will all help to encourage and foster an inquisitive and innovative approach to learning.
Assessments will be ongoing. There will be three formative assessments at approximately six week intervals during the exploratory and pathway stages. The confirmatory stage (final major project) is formally internally and externally assessed for the final grade for the course (pass, merit or distinction).
Most students will have completed a two-year A Level programme including an Art and Design A Level, or a BTEC Diploma in Art and Design, Photography or Graphic Design. Alternatively, applicants are required to demonstrate their commitment and ability with a portfolio of work.
Most successful Petroc students progress to relevant specialist university courses, either outside of this area or here at Petroc. A few make the choice to move directly into a career within the creative industries. For the past 15 years, 100% of our students who applied to higher education have secured places.
Facilities and resources
We are based in a large art studio where each student has a dedicated personal work area. In addition, there are specialist workshops and facilities to support each of the pathways. These include:
Visual Communication – print area, photography studio, Apple Mac computers with industry standard software for graphics, image making, film and animation.
Fashion and textiles – industrial and domestic sewing machines, mannequins, print and constructed textiles.
3D design – wood working machinery, glass, and metal working facilities.
Fine Art – all of the above.
Q: What is the purpose of this course?
A: The Foundation Diploma is the established route to art and design degree courses, most universities require the diagnostic experience of this course to enable students to make informed choices and to flourish within higher education.
Q: What progression opportunities does the course provide?
A: On successful completion of the course many students take up places on a variety of Higher Education courses including Fine art, Fashion, Textiles, Surface pattern Design, 3D Model-Making, Architecture, Graphic Design Illustration. There is also the possibility to pursue a higher level creative-based apprenticeship, internships or employment.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.