Hair Professional – Apprenticeship
As a Hair Professional Apprentice, you will learn how to shampoo and condition hair, cut hair using a range of techniques, style and finish hair to create variety of looks, and colour and lighten hair for ladies and men.
During this apprenticeship, you will be required to learn the following knowledge, skills and behaviours:
– Professionalism and values: Demonstrate professionalism and a passion for the industry; have a commitment to quality; work under pressure; observe time management; show a willingness to learn; complete services in a commercially viable time and to a high standard; meet organisational and industry standards of appearance; observe professional ethics.
– Behaviours and communication: Greet clients in a friendly manner; communicate with clients; adapt behaviour in response to each client; respond promptly to clients seeking assistance; establish client expectations; undertake wider salon duties.
– Safe working practices: Maintain safe working methods; adhere to workplace, suppliers/manufacturers instructions for the safe use of equipment and products; meet legal and organisational requirements; maintain the client’s modesty, privacy and comfort; minimise risks of cross-infection, injury or fatigue; promote environmental and sustainable working practices; correctly use Personal Protective Equipment.
– Consultation: Creatively assess the client’s requirements; examine the hair, skin and scalp; facial characteristics; conduct visual checks and necessary tests ; advise clients on services or products; identify the client’s hair characteristics and classification; advise clients on hair maintenance and management.
– Professionalism and values: Industry codes of practice and ethics; time management principles; self-management principles; standards of appearance; continuing professional development, equality and diversity.
– Behaviours and communication: industry standards of behaviour; communication techniques; client care ; the role of the reception area; making appointments; taking payments; Sale of Goods and Services Act and the Data Protection Act; advice and recommendations on products and services provided.
– Safe working practices: Legal and organisational requirements; use of tools, equipment, materials and products; adherence to workplace cleaning; waste disposal; client preparation; cross- infection; methods that promote environmental and sustainable working practices; reducing risk of injury; posture, personal hygiene; health and safety.
– Consultation: Visual aids; salon procedures and manufacturers’ instructions; incompatibility of previous services and products used; hair, skin and scalp problems; suspected infections or infestations; hair characteristics and classifications; basic structure of hair and skin; the growth cycle of hair; services or products available; legal responsibilities; salon pricing structures.
You will then choose one of the following routes:
– Hairdressing skills: Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp, Cut hair using a range of techniques, Style and finish hair to create a variety of looks, Colour and lighten hair using a range of techniques, plus one of the following options: Perming hair, Hair relaxing treatments and techniques, Hair extension services.
– Barbering skills: Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp, Cutting hair using barbering techniques to create a variety of looks, Style and finish men’s hair, Cut facial hair into shape, Shaving services.
Achievement of this apprenticeship makes you eligible for State Registration with the Hair Council.
Assessment is by practical observation and oral questioning.
You will be required to achieve Level 2 English and Maths prior to completing your apprenticeship.
Upon completion, you may wish progress onto a Level 3 Hairdressing apprenticeship to further career opportunities.
Facilities and resources
As an apprentice, you will have full access to the college facilities.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.