Health & Social Care BTEC Extended Diploma
Are you a good communicator? Caring? Kind? Cool under pressure? Do you want to have a rewarding career and make a difference to people’s lives? Then this course is for you!
This Health & Social Care programme will offer you the skills, knowledge and experience needed to successfully progress on to university or employment in the social care, social work or healthcare sectors.
You will cover four key topics:
– Human Lifespan Development: You will be introduced to the biological, psychological and sociological theories associated with human lifespan development. This includes theories of ageing, major life events affecting development and factors affecting an individual’s growth and development.
– Meeting Individual Care and Support Needs: This unit introduces you to the values and skills required for a career in social care or health care. You will explore the ethical issues that may arise and the challenges that will need to be overcome when personalising care.
– Working in Health and Social Care: This unit introduces the roles and responsibilities of health and social care practitioners and the organisations they work for. The importance of professions working together is explored to ensure that the individual needs of vulnerable people are met.
– Psychological Perspectives: This unit introduces a number of psychological perspectives. You will be encouraged not only to understand them but also apply them in a work setting to attempt to explain different types of behaviour in individuals.
Assessment for this qualification is through coursework, assignment tasks and exams; There will be one exam in the first year, followed by one exam in year two. Grading is by Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction*.
For each unit, you will have to complete two assessment tasks over the course of the academic year. Assessment tasks include activities such as case studies, personal experience, written reports and essays, presentations and completion of workbooks.
To be accepted onto a Level 3 programme, you must hold at least five GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including GCSE Maths and English language.
This Level 3 qualification is nationally recognised by employers. You will also add to your tally of UCAS points to your passport to university. Some of the degrees that our students have gone on to study include nursing, social work, midwifery, psychology and education.
Facilities and resources
The team who teach on this programme all have experience of working in health and social care or educational settings.
Q: What programmes should I study alongside this one?
A: This depends on your career goals; it is a good idea to discuss this with the Advice & Guidance Centre or the Health and Social Care staff.
Q: What personal skills and qualities do I need to succeed in this field?
A: You need to be reasonably confident and able to communicate with a wide range of people as the work experience may involve working with challenging groups. You also need to be able to empathise with individuals who may be very different to yourself.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.