Improve your English
This course is perfect for anyone who would like to improve their reading, writing and speaking skills for work, education or daily life. You will work at your own pace in a friendly, supportive atmosphere and gain confidence as well as a qualification.
Following an initial assessment, we will design a course to suit your needs.
Topics covered include:
– Read a variety of texts and interpret the meaning
– Write in a variety of styles, for example, letters, emails, newspaper articles and stories, using correct spelling, punctuation and grammar
– Construct compound sentences
– Take part in group discussions
You can enrol at any time.
You will be enrolled for a Functional Skill in English at a level that is appropriate for you. This is assessed via an exam when you are ready.
There are no entry requirements.
Upon completion, you could progress to a higher level Functional Skill or to GCSE.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.