IT Solutions Technician – Apprenticeship (Standard)
IT Solutions Technicians develop, implement and maintain complete IT solutions, including their hardware infrastructure and software. They work as part of a multi-disciplinary team which carry out the full set of stages across the whole solution lifecycle: requirements gathering, solution development, testing, implementation and ongoing support.
An IT Solutions Technician applies a professional methodology or framework to gather and analyse requirements; to design, develop, test, and implement IT solutions and to provide ongoing support both directly to end users and for the underlying IT services. The specific tasks undertaken vary depending on what needs to be achieved by the team at any particular time.
This qualification was written in partnership with some of the globes biggest names, including IBM, Accenture, BT, Cisco, Fujitsu, Greenacre Academy, Red Eye International, Miggle & RAF.
This apprenticeship has been specifically chosen by Petroc because of its suitability for smaller IT companies and IT departments where Help-Desk duties are an integral part of the job – and it can be started at any time of year.
It is an ideal choice for a Level 3 qualification because the aim of this apprenticeship is to provide a fundamental understanding of computing which will include networks, how data is transferred, the Cloud, understanding the internet, hardware, software, Operating Systems, project organisation and security.
During this apprenticeship, you will be required to learn the following knowledge, skills and behaviours:
– Apply a professional methodology or framework in work tasks.
– Execute appropriate due diligence, including formal testing or validation.
– Apply a range of technical IT skills, including: accessing remote systems; file manipulation; file editing, changing system or application settings; system administration; setting up and upgrading components (infrastructure or software).
– Operate in line with organisational polices, standards, legislation, security requirements, professional ethics, privacy and confidentiality; and understand escalation policies.
– Create and maintain documentation in accordance with best practice, organisational guidance and legislation.
– Identify appropriate technical solutions using both logical and creative thinking.
– Diagnose and understand client requirements and problems using sound analytical and problem solving skills.
– Communicate effectively in a variety of situations including formal and informally both within their team and externally.
– Operate securely across all areas of responsibility, in line with organisational guidance and legislation.
You will also study a choice of pathways depending on your current role.
Please note that an offer of an apprenticeship from an employer is needed before applying for this apprenticeship but we welcome all inquiries and Petroc is here to help you find out how to go about finding an apprenticeship or how to find an apprentice.
Upon successful completion of the above, you will then be passed through a Gateway. Once you have passed through the Gateway you will be assessed by an end-point assessment Organisation who will complete a knowledge test, project portfolio and interview to test your competence.
You will be required to achieve Level 2 English and Maths prior to completing your apprenticeship.
Upon completion of this apprenticeship, you could further develop your knowledge through a higher level apprenticeship. This apprenticeship is recognised for entry onto the BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, Register of IT Technicians confirming Level 3 professional competence. Those completing the apprenticeship can apply for registration.
Facilities and resources
This programme will be taught in our specialist training and assessment facility for engineering and manufacturing students.
Q: How do I know if this apprenticeship is the right pathway for me?
A: Our subject experts will conduct a thorough interview and skills scan to ensure you are placed on the right apprenticeship path
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.