Land Based Studies; Animal
Do you have a passion for animal welfare? Do you like learning practically? If so, this Land Based Studies; Animal course could be for you.
The programme offers a great introduction to the essentials of animal care and can lead on to a Level 2 qualification in animal management. Practical lessons in our special Animal Centre will allow you to develop your practical animal care skills – including animal feeding and accommodation – as well as improve your confidence. Lessons in classrooms will allow you to put into practice your knowledge of animals, as well as allowing you to develop and thrive as an individual. To achieve good grades, you will need to be able to link your classroom learning to your practical animal care.
The units you will study include:
– Safe and effective working practices in land-based industries.
– Develop performance in land-based industries.
– Assist with maintaining the health and well-being of animals.
– Assist with the movement, handling and accommodation of animals.
– Assist with feeding and watering animals.
– Assist with the preparation and maintenance of animal accommodation.
– Assist with the handling and restraint of animals.
This course forms part of a study programme which includes Maths, English, Tutorials and a range of other activities to make your time at college as successful as possible. Maths and English will be studied at a level to allow you to build upon the skills you have at the start of the course.
Assessments are a mixture of practicals, discussions, online tests and some written work.
You must hold four GCSEs at grade 2 or equivalent (or above), preferably including Maths and English. If you do not have a GCSE grade 4 in Maths and/or English, you’ll continue studying these subjects alongside your chosen course(s). At the end of the year, you are expected to have completed and achieved all the components of your Level 1 Study Programme and improved your Maths and English skills (where applicable) before progressing on to your next course.
You will be required to have evidence of some work experience in a relevant setting by the time you start the course.
This course can lead on to higher level animal courses through further education at Petroc. Once you have successfully completed the Level 1 Diploma in Land Based Studies, you may be able to progress on to the Level 2 Diploma in Animal Care. You may also be able to secure full- or part-time employment.
Facilities and resources
We have a dedicated Animal Centre at Petroc. The range of animals and specialist equipment develop students’ skills to allow them to compete in a highly-competitive job market. These facilities include a tropical room, rodent room, guinea pig and rabbit room, Blue Cross re-homing cattery, aviary and an outside enclosure for goats.
Q: Will I have to handle a species I have a phobia of?
A: A phobia is a very personal thing. You will not be made to handle a species, but you will be encouraged and supported to overcome your phobia at your pace.
Q: Will I need any work experience to get a place on the course?
A: All applications are considered on an individual basis, but work experience with animals is often asked for. Even if you have kept your own pets, this can be very different to working in the animal industry. This also enables you to make an informed decision about your future career aims.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.