Maintenance and Operations Engineering Technician – Apprenticeship (Standard)
During this apprenticeship, you will be required to learn the following knowledge, skills and behaviours:
A Technician will understand:
– First principles relating to the operation and maintenance of appropriate plant and equipment
– Relevant industry health and safety standards, regulations, and environmental and regulatory requirements
– Maintenance and operational practices, processes and procedures covering a range of plant and equipment
– The relevant engineering theories and principles relative to their occupation
A Technician will apply their knowledge of plant and systems to safely perform maintenance and operational activities with minimum supervision. This will require them to:
– Comply with industry health, safety and environmental working practices and regulations
– Locate, and rectify faults on plant and equipment
– Communicate with and provide information to stakeholders in line with personal role and responsibilities
– Read, understand and interpret information and work in compliance with technical specifications and supporting documentation
– Prepare work areas to undertake work related activities and reinstate those areas after the completion of the work related activities
– Inspect and maintain appropriate plant and equipment to meet operational requirements
– Assess and test the performance and condition of plant and equipment
– Communicate, handover and confirm that the appropriate engineering process has been completed to specification
– Health & Safety – follows health & safety policies and procedures and be prepared to challenge unsafe behaviour using appropriate techniques to ensure the protection of people and property when working alone and/or with appropriate supervision
– Quality focused – ensures that work achieves quality standard both occupationally and personally
– Working with others – works well with people from different disciplines, backgrounds and expertise to accomplish an activity safely and on time
– Interpersonal skills – gets along well with others and takes into account their needs and concerns
– Critical reasoning – uses resources, techniques and obtained facts to develop sound solutions while recognising and defining problems
– Sustainability and ethical behaviour – behaves ethically and undertakes work in a way that contributes to sustainable development
– Risk awareness – demonstrates high concentration, the desire to reduce risks, ability to be compliant and awareness of change, through regular monitoring and checking of information
Your end-point assessment will incorporate a project, multiple choice test and professional discussion.
If you do not have a Level 2 English and maths, you will need to achieve this level prior to taking the End-Point Assessment.
This program leads to job roles such as Mechanical Fitter; Electrical Fitter; Electronic Fitter; Instrumentation Fitter; Pipe Fitter; Controls and Systems Fitter. After completion of the qualification, you can progress to become a charted engineering technician ( EngTech).
Upon successful completion of this course, you can advance to a Level 4 Higher Apprenticeship or progress to Higher Education, and enrol on a related HNC or FdSc programme.
Facilities and resources
As an apprentice, you will have full access to the college facilities including mechanical and mechatronics workshops, CAD and computer suites.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.