National Extended Diploma in Sport and Outdoor Activities
This fantastic new syllabus has been specifically written to get you into the outdoor industry – backed by both CIMSPA and The Institute of Outdoor Learning.
The course is the equivalent of three A Levels, and is fully recognised by universities if you would like to continue your studies to a higher level after the course.
It blends classroom-based theory with exciting practical activities and really emphasises the link between the two. You’ll get to experience outdoor rock climbing, kayaking, canoeing, mountain biking, navigating plus coasteering, gorge walking and anything else we can cram in!
Units covered on the course may include:
– Careers in the sport and active leisure industry
– Health, wellbeing and sport
– Personal skills development in outdoor activities
– Applied leadership and instructing in outdoor activity
– Research project in sport
– Self-employment in sport and physical activity
– Sporting injuries
– Influence of technology in sport and physical activity
– Organising events in sport and physical activities
– Sport and leisure facility operations
– Sports tourism
– Health and safety factors in outdoor learning
– Outdoor activity provision
– Impacts and sustainability of outdoor activities
– Expedition experience
You must be happy to get cold, wet and muddy – regularly! And to also accept and manage the risks involved in what are potentially dangerous activities. The rewards and laughs are amazing and the career possibilities are endless.
There are no exams but there will be coursework to complete.
To be accepted onto a Level 3 programme, you must hold at least five GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including GCSE Maths and English language.
You will need to be comfortable with heights and being in cold water. You must have a willingness to ‘have a go’ and to push your limits and challenge yourself.
Previous students have gone on to do a wide variety of courses at degree level and above including outdoor adventure management, sport, coaching, geography, environmental science and criminology. Many former students are now also running very successful outdoor businesses both locally and further afield.
Facilities and resources
You will get to enjoy the fantastic outdoors of North Devon and Dartmoor. Our strength is the amazing natural resources we have at our disposal. We climb on the North Devon/Cornish sea cliffs and the granite tors of Dartmoor; paddle on the Rivers Taw, Torridge, Exe, Barle, Dart; navigate on Exmoor and Dartmoor; mountain bike in Haldon and Cardingham Forests.
And we have our own brilliant indoor climbing wall as well as a full fleet of kayaks, canoes, mountain bikes and all the required equipment you’ll need to take part in the best adventures you’ll have ever had!
Q: Do I need to be good at the activities?
A: No, but you need to be prepared to take part and push yourself to learn new skills.
Q: Do I need to provide all the equipment?
A: No, we have all the technical/safety equipment, but you will need to wear the correct clothing for the activity and environment/weather i.e. warm clothes, good waterproofs, walking boots, wetsuit, rucksack etc. Remember we operate outside all year round, and never cancel a practical day!
Q: I’ve heard you do amazing work experience and foreign expeditions – is it true?
A: Yes – most definitely, you’ll be able to arrange a really valuable work experience placement in the summer term of the first year and you’ll organise your own expedition for the end of the second year. Previous groups have been: Open canoeing in Sweden and France, mountaineering in Switzerland, hiking in Austria, Via Feratta in Italy, sea kayaking in the Spanish islands, plus much more!
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.