Painting & Decorating
If you like practical work and have an artistic flair, Painting and Decorating could be the career for you.
Painting and decorating is a skilled trade that is in demand across the world by the construction industry and by homeowners.
This course is designed for those interested in gaining employment in the painting and decorating industry or wishing to gain knowledge and practical skills for personal projects.
You’ll study a whole range of modules including:
– Health, safety and welfare
– Knowledge of technical information, quantities and communication
– Knowledge of construction technology
– Erection and dismantling of access equipment
– Preparation of common surface types for decoration
– How to apply basic paint systems by brush and roller
– Application of foundation and plain papers
– How to produce standard decorative finishes
All aspects of the course will be studied through both classroom-based theory sessions as well as practical-based workshop sessions.
As part of this study programme you will undertake maths and English (if you have not achieved a Grade 4 GCSE in these subjects), work experience, enrichment and tutorials.
You will undertake an end test and will complete and be assessed on 24 practical tasks within the 8 units which can be graded from Pass to Distinction.
You must hold four GCSEs at grade 2 or equivalent (or above), preferably including Maths and English. If you do not have a GCSE grade 4 in Maths and/or English, you’ll continue studying these subjects alongside your chosen course(s). At the end of the year, you are expected to have completed and achieved all the components of your Level 1 Study Programme and improved your Maths and English skills (where applicable) before progressing on to your next course.
Good, positive school record including personal statements from your teachers and yourself.
You will be able to use this qualification to help you gain employment or an apprenticeship and NVQ2 within the industry, or you can continue to study on the Level 2 Diploma in Painting and Decorating.
Facilities and resources
The painting and decorating workshop is fully equipped to support the curriculum and a wide range of practical activities. All trainers and assessors are experienced in their trade and approved by the awarding body, City and Guilds.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.