Plumbing and Domestic Heating Technician – Apprenticeship (Standard)
Apprentices on this course will plan, select, install, service, commission and maintain all aspects of plumbing and heating systems. Plumbing and domestic heating technicians can find themselves working inside or outside a property. Customer service skills and being tidy and respectful are important qualities as you can often find yourself working in a customers home as well as on building sites.
During this apprenticeship, you will be required to learn the following knowledge, skills and behaviours:
– Health and safety: Understand health and safety legislation, codes of practice and safe working practices.
– Core plumbing systems: Understand selection, planning, installation, testing, commissioning and de-commissioning, service, maintenance, fault diagnosis and repair techniques on cold water, hot water, central heating, above ground drainage and rainwater systems.
– Electrical components and control systems: Understand installation and testing techniques for electrical components and control systems.
– Plumbing science and processes: Understand scientific plumbing, domestic heating and mechanical principles.
– Principles of environmental technology systems: Understand the principles of domestic mechanical environmental technology systems.
– Principles of fossil fuels: Understand the principles of fuel combustion, ventilation and fluing arrangements.
– Customer service: Understand the principles of high quality customer service and establishing the needs of others.
– Communication: Understand different communication methods.
– Safe working: Operate in a safe working manner by adhering to health and safety legislation, codes of practice and applying safe working practices.
– Core plumbing system techniques: Apply selection, planning, installation, testing, commissioning and de-commissioning, service, maintenance, fault diagnosis and repair techniques on cold water, hot water, central heating, above ground drainage and rainwater systems.
– Electrical components and control systems techniques: Apply installation and testing techniques.
– Supervisory skills: Take responsibility for own work and safety and welfare of others.
In addition to the core skills and knowledge requirements, Plumbing and Domestic Heating Technicians must choose to undertake one of the following specialisms:
– Fossil Fuel – Natural Gas
– Fossil Fuel – Oil
– Fossil Fuel – Solid Fuel
– Environmental Technologies
– Honesty and Integrity: Develop trust with customers and colleagues by undertaking responsibilities in an ethical and empathetic manner.
– Dependable and responsible: Show conscientiousness through being punctual, reliable and professional.
– Enthusiasm and positive attitude: Demonstrate drive and energy in fulfilling requirements of role.
– Quality focus: Be quality focussed in work and in personal standards.
– Willingness to learn: Identify own development needs and take action to meet those needs.
– Work with others: Work effectively and collaborate with others.
– Sustainable working: Give consideration to appropriate use of resources and own actions taking into account the impact on environmental, social and economic factors.
Upon completion of this apprenticeship, you will have satisfied the requirements for registration as EngTech by the Engineering Council through The Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering (CIPHE) and / or The Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE).
Apply for this course
Cost : Total Fee £21000
You will be required to undertake a knowledge test, skills test and professional discussion as part of the end-point assessment.
Entry requirements will be determined by individual employers. Typically, you will be required to have English and Mathematics at Level 2.
Upon completion you will be a Plumbing & Domestic Heating Technician or you may wish to move to a higher apprenticeship.
Facilities and resources
As an apprentice, you will have full access to the college facilities.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.