Power Electronics (Tech Skills)
This short course develops skills surrounding the principles and working practices of systems containing power electronic circuits and devices to support solutions to engineering problems.
During the course, you will cover the following modules:
– Review passive components and basic networks relating to their use in power electronic circuits including tolerances.
– Assess the function and performance of different types of semiconductor power electronic devices – Diode, Thyristor, Triac, BJT, MOSFET and GTO
– Describe the performance of a selection of basic power systems including linear supplies, switching dc-dc buck, boost and ac-ac converters.
– Investigate the operation of power circuits and systems.
– Test and evaluate selected power electronic circuits, compare with specifications including thermal management.
The programme will follow a descriptive approach with simplified analytical work where possible. Theoretical work will be supported by concentrating on practical measurements and the use of basic test equipment.
The course starts on 5 January 2022 and runs for 10 weeks.
You will be assessed through coursework.
This course is open to adults currently in work with the agreement of their employer, resident in Devon, Cornwall, Somerset, or Dorset. It is aimed at Level 4 (first year of a degree) and applicable for employees with relevant Level 3 qualifications (A Level, BTEC Level 3, Level 3 Diploma).
This course will enable potential career progression opportunities.
Facilities and resources
You will be taught in our South West Institute of Technology (SWIoT) building – a state-of-the-art facility for training in technical subjects to create highly-skilled technicians and engineers.
Q: Is there a cost involved in this course?
A: No, Tech Skills courses are fully funded by the DfE In-Work Skills Pilot project.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.