This one-year professional hospitality and catering course has been developed as the first step to entering an exciting and dynamic industry, where you will gain the knowledge, skills and experience that employers look for in future employees.
The course encompasses the Technical Certificate in Professional Cookery, Award in Food Safety in Catering, and Award in Professional Food and Beverage in order to prepare you for further study on the full-time Level 3 course.
Some of the techniques covered in this course could include:
– Boiling, poaching and steaming
– Stewing and braising
– Baking, roasting and grilling
– Deep frying and shallow frying
– Cold food preparation
– Principles of becoming a professional chef
– How to use knives, tools and equipment
– How to work safely and hygienically
Assessment will be through a variety of methods which could include practical activities, written activities or externally assessed content.
All entrants must hold four GCSEs at grade 3 or equivalent (or above), preferably including GCSE Maths and English. If you do not have a GCSE grade 4 in Maths and/or English you will continue studying these subjects alongside your chosen course(s). At the end of the year, you are expected to have completed and achieved all the components of your Level 2 Study Programme and improved your Maths and English skills before progressing to your next level course
Upon successful completion, you may wish to go on to study at Level 3 or an apprenticeship as a Hospitality Team Member or as a Commis Chef.
Facilities and resources
Our state-of-the-art Lifestyle Centre is home to the Taw Restaurant. With its stunning views across Barnstaple, it will give you the chance to engage with customers and hone your skills in our industry-standard training kitchens.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.