Software Developer – Higher Apprenticeship
This course provides the perfect opportunity to gain knowledge and understanding of Software Development. The primary role of a software developer is to build and test simple, high quality code across front end, logic and database layers. A developer will typically be working as part of a larger team, in which they will have responsibility for some of the straightforward elements of the overall project.
This course will equip you for a successful career in software development; you will gain industry experience while learning the theoretical knowledge needed to succeed in the sector providing the perfect gateway to a highly sought-after career. You will develop strong problem-solving skills and a good grasp of the theoretical and practical aspects of software development. It is essential that you can work independently but also operate as an effective team member and have good customer-handling skills.
While studying this course you will gain knowledge in the technical aspects of software engineering, technical competencies and other relevant skills such as:
– All stages of the software development life-cycle (what each stage contains, including the inputs and outputs).
– Roles and responsibilities within the software development life cycle (who is responsible for what).
– The similarities and differences between different software development methodologies, such as agile and waterfall.
– Creating logical and maintainable code and developing effective user interfaces
– Writing good quality code (logic) with sound syntax in at least one language.
– Developing effective user interfaces for at least one channel.
– Effectively linking code to the database/data sets.
– Testing code and analysing results to correct errors found using either V-model manual testing.
Apply for this course
Select from the start date/s below…
The decision as to when an apprentice is ready to cross the threshold from learning into the end-point assessment (EPA) phase will be made by the employer and the training provider based on their monitoring of the apprentices’ progress. In order to move into the EPA phase, you will need to have passed all the knowledge modules and/or vendor or professional qualifications and be able to produce a portfolio for the EPA. If you don’t already have Level 2 English and Maths, you will need to achieve these prior to the EPA.
EPA methods will include a summative portfolio, a synoptic project and an employer reference.
On successful completion of the apprenticeship, you could progress onto the FdEng Software Engineering at Petroc or another HE provider.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.