Technical Certificate in Make-up Artistry
Are you wanting to start an exciting journey towards building a career in the make-up industry? This Make-up Retail and Artistry course is an ideal professional qualification to give you insight and experience in the standards and exacting requirements of the competitive world of makeup artistry.
You will learn about a wide range of makeup application including:
– Day, evening and bridal makeup
– Hair skills to complement makeups
– 1920 – 1990 historical hair and makeup
– Photographic makeup
– Body art
You will learn the background theory relating to:
– skin structure and function
– Bones of skull and upper body
– Muscles of shoulders and face
– Makeup Products
– Health and safety
– Mood board creation and methods of research to fulfil a brief
You will take an external two-hour theory examination and complete a six-hour practical examination moderated by the awarding body.
Throughout the qualification you will practise on each other and on models, working towards your moderated examinations. You will also be working on the development of your employability skills, as well as your Maths and English if you have not attained at least a grade 4.
You will also be required to find some work experience in the industry in makeup retail, beauty or hair
All entrants must hold four GCSEs at grade 3 or equivalent (or above), preferably including GCSE Maths and English. If you do not have a GCSE grade 4 in Maths and/or English you will continue studying these subjects alongside your chosen course(s). At the end of the year, you are expected to have completed and achieved all the components of your Level 2 Study Programme and improved your Maths and English skills before progressing to your next level course
As well as the requirements listed above, you will need a creative and artistic flair.
Following successful completion of the course, you could choose to progress on to Level 3 Advanced Technical Diploma in SFX and Make-up Artistry which could take you to university with a view to working in film and television. However, you can take an alternative route by studying Level 3 Diploma in Nail Technology or Level 2 Technical Certificate in Beauty Therapy.
Facilities and resources
Our Lifestyle Centre is home to our state-of-the-art nail bar, hair salon, beauty salon, tanning room, spa, make-up room, training salons, barber shop and retail hub.
Q: Will I have to wear a uniform?
A: On Introductory Day, you will come in your own clothes, you will then be expected to wear your uniform in the media makeup sessions.
Q: Will I need a kit?
A: Yes, this is essential so that you have a range of products used in the industry and so that you can practice at home
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.