If you're aged over 19, you may be able to receive help towards the costs of fees for Level 3 – Level 6 courses.
Key facts about Advanced Learner Loans
- The minimum loan amount is £300.
- A loan can be taken out and used to pay the full or partial amount of the tuition fees.
- Your household income does not hinder your ability to apply.
- There is no credit check involved.
- Interest on the loans is low and linked to inflation.
- Any balance outstanding will be written off after 30 years.
Getting a loan doesn't depend on your household income and you will not have to pay back a penny until you are earning more than £21,000 a year. After that your repayments will be deducted directly from your salary and you will pay back 9% of however much you earn above £21,000 - so if you earn £22,000 you will pay back £90 a year (9% of £1000) – which equates to just £7.50 a month.
If your Level 3 course is an Access to Higher Education course and you go on to successfully complete an undergraduate degree then your Advanced Learner Loan will be written off!
Who is eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan?
Whether you qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan depends on when your course is scheduled to start.
- You must be 19 or older on the first day of your course.
- Loans can only be used to fund the following types of qualification:
Access to Higher Education Diplomas, vocational qualifications including technical and professional qualifications at Levels 3, 4, 5 and 6.
If the loan is for an Access to Higher Education course and you subsequently go on to complete your degree then you won’t have to pay back your Advanced Learner Loan.
- You must be living in the UK on the first day of your course.
- You have been living in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for three years before starting your course.
- You are a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (this means there’s no restrictions on how long you can stay).
How do I apply?
You can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan using an online application form available on the GOV.UK website.
To apply online, you must first have been issued with a Learning and Funding Information Letter, which will be supplied by the Registry Team following an interview.
How much can I get?
The loan amount you are able to receive will depend on the type of course you take and how much the fees are for the course. The minimum loan you can receive is £300.
How can I find out more information?
Gov.uk Advanced Learner Loan Information
The Money Advice Service Advanced Learner Loan Information
Please contact the Guidance Centre using the following details:
01271 338 125
01884 235 245