Supported Internship - Entry Level - Full-time (North Devon)
North Devon Campus
Supported Internships are for young people with learning difficulties and/or disabilities, aged 16 to 24, with a Statement of Special Educational Needs, a My Plan, a Learning Difficulty Assessment, or, an Education, Health and Care Plan who want to move into employment and need extra support to do so.
The majority of learners who undertake a Supported Internship will be offered either paid or voluntary work on completion.
The overall goal of Supported Internships is to move young people with additional needs into paid employment.
The structured study programme includes on-the-job training with a local employer supported by expert job coaches, an employability programme looking at the soft skills of employment, vocational profiling to identify a student's skills and qualities, and the chance to study for relevant qualifications, where appropriate. The job coaches also provide support to employers, increasing their confidence of working with the young people and helping them to understand the business case of employing a diverse workforce.
Supported Internships reflect the following principles:
- The majority of the young person's time is spent at the employer's premises.
- Young people are expected to comply with real job conditions, such as timekeeping and dress code.
- Systematic instruction, a method specifically designed to help people with complex learning difficulties learn new tasks, is used where appropriate.
- Stretching learning goals are agreed including English and Maths.
- Both the young person and the employer have support through a tutor and a formally trained job coach, in line with the National Occupational Standards for Supported Employment.
We hope that learners completing this programme will either move into employment or onto Project SEARCH.
An EHCP or be in receipt of benefits.
The aim of this programme, is for learners to move into paid employment or an apprenticeship.
Purpose-built Liberty Centre with a working café and social enterprise hub.
To be discussed at interview.
Please contact the Advice & Guidance Centre on 01271 852422 for more information.