Support for Teaching & Learning in Schools (TA)
This qualification will provide you with an in-depth understanding of the knowledge and skills needed when working directly with children and young people in school and college environments. It covers all aspects of specialist support, including planning; delivering and reviewing assessment strategies to support learning alongside the teacher, bilingual support, special needs support, and personal development and reflective practice.
This engaging and varied study programme has been developed to give you the opportunity to participate in learning that is relevant to you. You will develop a range of skills and techniques, as well as personal skills and attributes essential for successful performance in an educational environment.
Units covered will include:
– Understand child and young person development
– Understand how to safeguard the well-being of children and young people
– Communication and professional relationships with children and young people
– Schools as organisations
– Support learning activities
– Promote children and young people’s positive behaviour
– Develop professional relationships with children, young people and adults
– Promote equality, diversity and inclusion in work with children and young people
– Support assessment for learning
– Engage in personal development in health, social care or children’s and young people’s settings
– Support children and young people’s health
You will spend one day per week in college and work/volunteer up to three days per week in a placement setting to enhance your practical abilities in the working environment.
You will be internally assessed through coursework. A Petroc assessor will also visit you intermittently at your work placement in order to plan, observe and assess progress.
To be accepted onto a Level 3 programme, you must hold at least five GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including GCSE Maths and English language.
You will require a full Level 2 vocational qualification at Merit. Mature students with both English and Maths at grade 4 or above (C) will also be considered for this course. You will need a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check before you start the course.
Upon successful completion of this course, you could become a practitioner in schools and colleges, undertake a foundation degree in Teaching and Learning or a specialist role within the workforce.
Facilities and resources
The team who deliver this qualification all have directly relevant experience as well as academic qualifications.
Q: Do I need to be employed as a teaching assistant to study this qualification?
A: No, however, you will need a placement for the competency assessed units on this course. We have a placement coordinator who will help to find a placement.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
As this course requires you to undertake work placements with children and/or vulnerable adults, a DBS check is required.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.