CPCAB Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
This two year part-time qualification will give you the knowledge, skills and competencies to work as a Therapeutic Counsellor in an agency context. It is designed to lead to an employed or voluntary role in a counselling agency in both health care and non-medical settings. Those with sufficient experience can also begin working as independent practitioners in private practice.
Units covered in this programme include:
– Working ethically, safely and professionally as a counsellor
– Working within a counselling relationship
– Working with client diversity in counselling work
– Working within a user-centred approach to counselling
– Working with self-awareness in the counselling process
– Working within a coherent framework of counselling theory and skills
– Working self-reflectively as a counsellor
– Personal Counselling: A minimum of 10 hours face to face personal therapy during the course.
– Client Work: Aminimum of 100 hours formally contracted counselling (one to one) with at least five different clients in an agency setting.
– Supervision: Clinical supervision for the agency client work.
To achieve the qualification, you will be assessed as proficient in all the learning outcomes within the seven mandatory units and must be externally assessed by the award body as proficient. You will also submit a 30-minute audio recording of a counselling session with a peer and associated two hour written candidate review paper which is sent to the award body for assessment.
Applicants must have achieved the CPCAB ICSK-L2 Introduction to Counselling Skills, CPCAB CSK-L2 Certificate in Counselling Skills, CPCAB Certificate in Counselling Studies – Level 3.
Personal Counselling – a minimum of 10 hours face to face personal therapy during the course.
Client Work – a minimum of 100 hours formally contracted counselling (one to one) with at least five different clients in an agency setting.
Supervision – clinical supervision for the agency client work.
Upon completion of this course, you may wish to study another of our courses in the same field.
Q: Is there any funding available to help pay for my course?
A: Many of our courses are free to attend (subject to eligibility). We will carry out a fee assessment when you enrolment to establish if you meet this criteria.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.