This Bricklaying course is for anyone who would like to work within the construction industry. Bricklaying will be studied alongside the use and design of building techniques.
We have purpose-built workshops which are fully equipped to support a wide range of practical activities and classroom-based lessons.
Units covered in this programme include:
– Principles of Building Construction
– Information and Communication
– Health, safety and welfare
– Basic block-laying and bricklaying skills
– Basic cavity walling
– Setting out and building basic masonry structures up to damp course level.
You will also learn to develop the business skills needed to become a successful bricklayer.
These units will be studied through both classroom based theory sessions and practical workshop sessions.
You will have the opportunity to develop your Maths and English skills if you have not achieved a GCSE 4/5 in these areas, and take part in work experience placements.
You will be advised of the dates when work should be submitted. You will be assessed on both your theory and practical project work.
A good understanding of Maths and English will be of benefit. Candidates will attend an interview before enrolment.
Following this course you can progress to the Level 2 Trowel Occupations Diploma or an apprenticeship, which will give you the skills needed to work within the industry. You can also progress to other areas in the architecture and construction field.
Facilities and resources
Fully equipped classrooms with Smart Board and other teaching and learning devices. Practical will take place in the workshop.
Q: Is there any equipment needed to participate on this course?
A: Safety clothing including boots and overalls need to be purchased by the student. Students are also required to provide their own stationery and textbooks, a full equipment list will be provided at interview.
Q: Are there any costs for this course?
A: Students are asked to pay a contribution towards materials and learning resources used in workshops and classrooms. There may also be trips throughout the year which may incur a cost. If your are a 19+ learner there may be course fees, unless you are eligible for a remission. Financial support may be available, if you require further information contact the Advice & Guidance Centre on 01884 235330.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.