The North Devon Coastal Academy offers a truly unique alternative education experience. Students will leave at the end of their time with us more confident and more motivated. They will gain skills teamwork, listening, communication, and a whole array of practical skills including motor mechanics and woodwork.
We offer a suite of City and Guilds and AQA qualifications suitable for each learner. Our offer is designed to support an individual to successfully gain a job, progress in a chosen field, prepare for further study and support the development of techniques required for successful independent living. Our suite of qualifications include:
– Level 2 Diploma in Employability Skills
– Level 1, 2 and 3 Award in Customer Service
– Level 1 and 2 Award in Office Procedures
– Level 1 and Level 2 Higher Level Project
– Level 2 Diploma in Business and Administration
– Functional Skills English and Maths
You will have access to our motor mechanics project, gym sessions, and a range of outdoor activities such as canoeing and cycling. You will also enjoy regular trips to a variety of local beaches to promote mental wellbeing, will be encouraged to help maintain the grounds, and will be actively involved in upcycling various parts of Lendon Barn.
You will receive coursework for the Occupational Studies element.
There will be informal and formal assessments for Functional Skills and GCSE Maths and English – including a speaking and listening module.
For all learners joining Entry Level Study Programmes, there are no formal entry requirements, however you will have a one-to-one interview to discuss your personal learning needs. You will also be required to study English and Maths at an appropriate level to suit your ability.
Upon successful completion of this course, you may wish to move on to further education or full-time employment.
Facilities and resources
We have a large outdoor space (one acre of land), toilets, kitchen, three study areas, motor mechanics workshop, outside vehicle and bike track, woodwork area, large gym, student laptops/desktops, wheelchair access throughout, car parking onsite, minibus shuttle between Bideford Quay and Lendon Barn, and outdoor equipment.
Q: How do students access Lendon Barn?
A: Wings operates a free minibus shuttle between Bideford Quay and Abbotsham for all students at the start and end of the day.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.