The North Devon Coastal Academy offers a truly unique alternative education experience. Students will leave at the end of their time with us more confident, more motivated, with skills in teamwork, listening, communication, and a whole array of practical skills including motor mechanics and woodwork. The Occupational Studies programme is made up of a number of different units.
Over the course of the first two years, units covered will include, but not exclusively:
– Developing skills in garden horticulture
– Carpentry Hand skills
– Developing skills in joining materials using welding
– Identification of internal and external car parts
– Customer Services
– Exploring digital photography
– IT communication fundamentals
– Participating in leisure activities
– Planning a fitness programme
– Working in a team
– Problem-solving at work
You will also continue to progress in Maths and English during your time with us. We offer Functional Skills Entry Levels 1, 2 and 3 in both Maths and English.
You will have access to our motor mechanics project, gym sessions, a range of outdoor activities (for example fishing, canoeing, mountain biking and surfing) and other volunteering opportunities within the organisation. You will also enjoy regular trips out to a variety of local beaches to promote mental wellbeing, will be encouraged to help maintain the grounds, and will be actively involved in upcycling various parts of Lendon Barn.
We are fully committed to each students’ personal development and have our own counsellor who you can meet within college hours should you require it.
You will receive coursework for the Occupational Studies element.
There will be informal and formal assessments for Functional Skills and GCSE Maths and English – including a speaking and listening module.
For all learners joining Entry Level Study Programmes, there are no formal entry requirements, however you will have a one-to-one interview to discuss your personal learning needs. You will also be required to study English and Maths at an appropriate level to suit your ability.
Upon successful completion of this course, you may wish to move on to further education or full-time employment.
Facilities and resources
We have a large outdoor space (one acre of land), toilets, kitchen, three study areas, motor mechanics workshop, outside vehicle and bike track, woodwork area, large gym, student laptops/desktops, wheelchair access throughout, car parking onsite, minibus shuttle between Bideford Quay and Lendon Barn, and outdoor equipment.
Q: How do students access Lendon Barn?
A: Wings operates a free minibus shuttle between Bideford Quay & Abbotsham for all students at the start and end of the day.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.