This one-year T Level Transition Programme has been designed to give you the best chance of progressing onto your chosen T Level – and successfully completing it.
It’s been developed with leading businesses, schools and colleges to help you gain the knowledge, skills, and work experience that you will need for your next step, and that employers look for in future employees.
You will gain the following:
– Technical knowledge and practical skills
– Industry-based work experience
– Relevant English, maths and digital skills
– Focused individual support and personal development
Some of the units you will be studying include:
– Animal feeding and accommodation
– Animal health and welfare maintenance
– Animal behaviour and handling
-Health and safety for land-based industries
– Work experience in an animal setting
Work experience is an essential aspect of this course and you will be required to complete 150 hours of compulsory work experience in an animal setting throughout the academic year.
The course is assessed via a supervised written assignment, practical assessments, unit assignments and a written exam.
All entrants must hold four GCSEs at grade 3 or equivalent (or above), preferably including GCSE Maths and English. If you do not have a GCSE grade 4 in Maths and/or English you will continue studying these subjects alongside your chosen course(s). At the end of the year, you are expected to have completed and achieved all the components of your Level 2 Study Programme and improved your Maths and English skills before progressing to your next level course
You will need a willingness to work with animals and a passion for the subject area, along with dedication to completing assessment work.
On successful completion of this study programme, you have lots of options open to you. You will be able to look for full- or part-time employment in an animal care setting, or, with the correct grades, you can move on to the Level 3 T Level in Animal Care and Management. Your tutors will give you lots of advice and guidance on what you can do and how to progress.
Facilities and resources
We have a dedicated Animal Centre at Petroc containing a range of animals and specialist equipment to help develop your skills to allow you to compete in a highly-competitive job market. These facilities include a tropical room, rodent room, guinea pig and rabbit room, Blue Cross rehoming cattery, aviary and an outside enclosure for goats.
Q: Will I need any work experience to get a place on the course?
A: All applications are considered on an individual basis, but work experience with animals is often asked for. Even if you have kept your own pets, this can be very different to working in the animal industry. This also enables you to make an informed decision about your future career aims.
Every full-time student at Petroc will have their own Study Programme which will include:
– Your academic or vocational qualification.
– Maths and English Language development – if you have not achieved GCSE grade 4 in either of these subjects.
– Work Experience – hours will vary depending on your qualification and course level.
– Tutor Support – to support your personal, academic and professional development.
– Sustainability – helping you to identify how you can improve the sustainability of your future employment sectors.
– Personal Development Awards – developing six key areas of personal and employability behaviours to prepare you for the working world.
Apply for this course
Why Petroc should be your first choice
Petroc offers high quality education and training across North and Mid Devon. We provide outstanding learning, excellent facilities, strong connections to employers and a supportive environment to help you fulfil your education goals and set you on your path to the career of your dreams.
We offer a supportive and inclusive environment where you can flourish and feel a valued member of the college and wider community.
Our teaching spaces and facilities are some of the best in the region, providing stimulating and true-to-life learning environments.
We’ll provide you with the experiences you need to be ready for employment or the next step on your educational journey.